asploded bike parts thread

They just can’t sit up front without playing with it!

[quote=dotMR]HY 200k yesterday

WTF freehub body seized at 199.8k and had to skate/push the bike the final .2…and then walk 2km to a train station[/quote]

Misdiagnosis. What I couldn’t see last night was that a danglerhangler screw backed itself into the cassette seizing it in place…which conveniently also stripped out the threads on the danglerhangler.

HY glad I had a backup
HY now I have a WW 105 cassette

Damn. That is not a thing I’d ever think about happening. Are the threads in the frame ok?

Ive never seen one get jammed like that but I’ve seen plenty where the screw fell out completely

no threads in the frame, just a countersink

So does that make it a screw or a bolt?

the screw / bolt can be either
it’s a bolt if you use a nut
it’s a screw if you don’t

Does the dangler hanger count as a nut?

nope

a different way to think about it is that bolts hold together two or more things that have unthreaded holes through them (e.g. chainring bolts)

screws hold together things with threads already in them (dangler hanger), or create threads in the things they’re holding together (wood screws)

So a nut is not allowed to be an integral part of the device? Or, in other words, if the nut IS part of the device and serves a purpose other than simply providing a method of attachment, then the bolt becomes a screw.

What about a captive nut that is made separately but then permanently attached to an integral part of the device (I assume to avoid the need to cut threads into the part itself)?

[quote=TimArchyLime]So a nut is not allowed to be an integral part of the device? Or, in other words, if the nut IS part of the device and serves a purpose other than simply providing a method of attachment, then the bolt becomes a screw.

What about a captive nut that is made separately but then permanently attached to an integral part of the device (I assume to avoid the need to cut threads into the part itself)?[/quote]

great question

What if you weld a nut to a part? Or superglue? Jam it in a tight hole? Gets stuck in there real good accidentally due to corrosion? Do you have to try to remove it before making a screw/bolt determination? Inquiring minds want to know.

[quote=Lowrey'sOrgan]a different way to think about it is that bolts hold together two or more things that have unthreaded holes through them (e.g. chainring bolts)
[/quote]

So that would make the outer/ internally threaded part of the chainring fastener the bolt, and the externally threaded screw looking one is the nut?

Was having a mental struggle last night installing the new danglerhangler - to threadlock or not to threadlock?

In the end I just used a little bit of grease and no threadlock as I worry about replacement on the road/trail (as happened Sunday night).

The other non-mangled screw (2.5mm hex-head) was basically stripped and a PITA to get out of the frame. Needed vise-grips on the hangler to work it loose.

Lesson learned: carry a good headlamp as part of night riding gear

i went with threadlocker. if i had purple at home i would have used that but harbor freight blue probably counts for low strength right?

[quote=crowding][quote=Lowrey'sOrgan]a different way to think about it is that bolts hold together two or more things that have unthreaded holes through them (e.g. chainring bolts)
[/quote]

So that would make the outer/ internally threaded part of the chainring fastener the bolt, and the externally threaded screw looking one is the nut?[/quote]
I think so. Except for those campy cranks where one of the spider arms is behind the crank arm. That has 4 chainring bolts and one chainring screw.

Lasted like 9 years so I ain’t mad

Didn’t the Brits used to call screws ‘nails?’
Just to pile on…

And what if the part is, like, just a nut? huge bong rip