asploded bike parts thread

Not technically asploded, but did notice some notching in the Jones’ seatpost (Ritchey carbon). Someone else posted a photo of posts with similar crimped/pinched seatposts, but I couldn’t find it. The Jones uses a separate collar, which in my case is a no-pinch design that I’ve used previously with good results.

Smilinggrant.jpg

[quote=jr]

Lasted like 9 years so I ain’t mad[/quote]

Awesome
Welcome to the club. I broke one in the middle of a 400 and it was commented that I was faster as a SS.

Last weekend I volunteered at an event that rhymes with smashcade smwelvehundred and the old 72yo crusher who rides in my club was riding this for his 8th time (every time it’s been held) and he rides a cervelo with a 10sp force group. At the last pass and ~100km from the overnight he broke his shifter. He came in 17th that day and I was there to valet Bikes. He says to me
“Hey I broke my shifter, I’ve got the part, is there anything that can be done?”
I laughed and told him I’d done the same thing on a 400 and I’d see what we could do.
The mechanic, as I previously mentioned in another thread, was a curmudgeonly hack and wasn’t able to do anything so I set him up in the 3rd lowest cog - meaning he could still change front rings. He completed the ride, not as fast as he wanted, but still, and he wrote me a thank you email and forwarded an email where he thanked me in public. Pretty awesome for a guy who’s given me a hard time for years. I’m still going to beat his times someday.

I like the shrams, but my Force 10 levers always felt they were breaking when shifting.

I break frames and saddles to the point where it’s a joke amongst friends but I’ve had the same sram force 10spd group for about 8 years now and the shifters are still perfect even after beefing it pretty hard a good number of times.

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]
“Hey I broke my shifter, I’ve got the part, is there anything that can be done?”
I laughed and told him I’d done the same thing on a 400 and I’d see what we could do.
The mechanic, as I previously mentioned in another thread, was a curmudgeonly hack and wasn’t able to do anything so I set him up in the 3rd lowest cog - meaning he could still change front rings.[/quote]

It’s possible to attach the replacement SRAM lever, but if you think I am going it in a few minutes on the bike on the bike, while the rider is waiting, you are crazy. The whole thing has to come apart and it will take an hour of staring at schematics to get it back together.

Asploded and cleverly repaired.

I have a product idea that is basically a triangular block of plastic. It is not symmetric.

You know how you can just pull on the exposed gear cable (between housing stops, assuming you are not using full housing) along your top tube and move the derailleur? Well this block of plastic would wedge between frame and cable, put tension on the cable, and depending on what way you turned it would give you three different gears.

For emergency use only.

The design is pretty straightforward. The trick is making it something you’d want to actually carry. Needs to be collapsible, or stored in a way that is very unobtrusive, yet there when you need it in an emergency. This is the sticking point, I’m not sure it’s something that would actually sell to people, I mean how often do you really blow up a shifter?

[quote=jimmythefly]I have a product idea that is basically a triangular block of plastic. It is not symmetric.

You know how you can just pull on the exposed gear cable (between housing stops, assuming you are not using full housing) along your top tube and move the derailleur? Well this block of plastic would wedge between frame and cable, put tension on the cable, and depending on what way you turned it would give you three different gears.

For emergency use only.

The design is pretty straightforward. The trick is making it something you’d want to actually carry. Needs to be collapsible, or stored in a way that is very unobtrusive, yet there when you need it in an emergency. This is the sticking point, I’m not sure it’s something that would actually sell to people, I mean how often do you really blow up a shifter?[/quote]

You’d need a different sized triangle for different lengths of cable run between stops. Not sure how much of a difference you could accomodate for with barrel adjusters.

I guess you could make a whole array of them for different cable pull ratios and cable run lengths. 3d print to order?

What if we made the triangle an infinitely adjustable cam, permanently attached it to the downtube so you would always have it with you, and added a little lever so it would be easier to turn

I see what u did there

Of course the type of person who would spend 4 hours fixing a cut U-lock is the same type of person who would have a homemade CNC dremel grinder

you could make a circle with notches to go on the DT and then pop the shift cable in to add tension going around the dt.

Wedge a stick in the dangler

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=NOVELTYNAME]
The mechanic, as I previously mentioned in another thread, was a curmudgeonly hack and wasn’t able to do anything so I set him up in the 3rd lowest cog - meaning he could still change front rings.[/quote]

It’s possible to attach the replacement SRAM lever, but if you think I am going it in a few minutes on the bike on the bike, while the rider is waiting, you are crazy. The whole thing has to come apart and it will take an hour of staring at schematics to get it back together.[/quote]

Fwiw, this was at the overnight controle. Mechanic was curmudgeonly asf and would have complained about it even if he had brought parts. And I quote “you think I can just carry everything that might be needed? Yeah right. I can’t just have a sram red shifter, that’s $500!”
Dude brought a Phil wood spoke machine, the full line of compass tires, and bunches of wear items - but nothing to fix things that catastrophically fail.

I’ve started dreaming up a sample brevet emergency kit and it has a cheapass friction shifter thumbie JUST IN CASE.

not the worst idea - maybe mounted to one of these so you can throw it on quickly?

I’m thinking more along the lines of the $5 Sunrace literally cheap asf

Keeping a $5 Sunrace in your emergency kit for a kludge repair in remote locations is a solid idea.

smiling-grant-dot-jpeg