Babby, It's Cold Outside

The waterproof keens I got at savers keep my feet coupled with wool socks keeps my feet surprisingly warm. It’s worth the stigma of being the kind of guy who wears keens in public.

I’m so excited.

It’s going to be in the single digits or NEGATIVES all week. I brought the fatbike to my family’s house. Riding Greylock tomorrow, so stoked. I always have an absolute blast.

I’m so pumped and had to share. I can’t sleep through stoke like this…

Here are the pics from last year:

-1f on my commute this morning. I wore my stupid non-clipless 45north boots and they did a great job of keeping my feet warm.

Oh yeah, my hydros got REAL stiff on my ride this morning that was weird.

Because of the temperature?

Must be. They loosened right up when I took the bike inside at work.

Definitely dot fluid weather

Are there any shoe covers that work on mtb and road shoes? This is for mid-30’s road riding, not the arctic stuff y’all are talking about. Not needing them to handle tons of walking, just don’t want to be walking on the shoe cover if I’m wearing mtb shoes.

Having a hell of a cold snap this week:

Those 20mph winds coming in off the lake are the real demotivator

Most of them.

Endura MT500 booties. Endura claims they’re for MTB cleats only, but I’m 99.9999% sure they’ll fit delta cleats just fine.

I got tired of consuming covers to wear over Sidi Dominators. I found dealing with shoes AND covers to be tedious and the toes of the covers would blow out quickly. (I never tried the Enduras) Last year I got some (discontinued) Sidi Diablo GTX for Seattle winter riding for ~$100 and have been really happy with them. My feet generally get cold quickly but wearing these boots with a pair of chemical toes warmers keeps them really comfy for hours.

I ended up with some Pearl izums that we’re on sale at REI. They don’t look great for mtb shoes, so I’ll just deal with switching pedals occasionally. I’ve always been on the lookout for some winter shoes, but never managed to find such a sweet deal on them.

fuck shoe covers imo.

Never been able to get a set to last more than 100 miles.

What size are you Kyle? I’ve got two pair of Specialized Defrosters that are too small for my ever-growing feet.

My spec shoes are 45.
Fingers crossed…

[quote=blackholelectron]Having a hell of a cold snap this week:

Those 20mph winds coming in off the lake are the real demotivator[/quote]

yeah it is cold.
it is also prime nordic ski weather.

From the few times I’ve gone XC skiing, it seems a lot like cross: it’s not fun at any reasonable temperatures.

Now that I’m in the land of somewhat consistent sub freezing weather I need some winter shoes.

The cool thing is that Bend is pretty dry, so absolute waterproofness is much less of a factor than Seattle was.

Really gotta get into the ski life! One of these winters…