Babby, It's Cold Outside

[quote=emor]

So far, I like sunny and bitterly cold a whole hell of a lot better than endless dark rain[/quote]
Yeah, clear and cold is the best conditions.

13f and sunny as hell in Richmond VA this morning. Walked the kid to school in the stroller because I thought the windchill might literally kill her if we biked.

Smith used to make these lens/goggle prep wipes that were absolutely excellent at preventing fogging. Below 10f I’d probably want goggles regardless.

wth: Friday’s forecasted high temp, in Buffalo, is 2.

NYC gonna have a high of 11 and 24 mph winds.

Good news! It got bumped up to 3.

Sat is still 2, though.

Dags are NOT going to like that

Are you getting our noreaster winds out there?

Not too bad… 25ish mph. Probably a lot stronger on the Lake Erie waterfront, though

a bicycle secret, right?

i am NOT in ski goggle winter crew for any sports other than actual downhill skiing.
do you guys find your eyes get cold? i have never experienced this.
i also can’t stand having my face covered so it’s got to be BAD (like well below zero) before i’ll put something on my face.

[quote=emor]Need to get down to REI and try some goggles. Definitely worried about glasses interference. Though I have to ask — is there any reason why the goggles aren’t going to fog up? It’s caused by my breath which will definitely warm up the outside surface of the goggles too.

Also, I got hot on my way home today even though it was -3 because I rode on the lake and pushed through a few inches of snow.

So far, I like sunny and bitterly cold a whole hell of a lot better than endless dark rain[/quote]

The only fogging i have gotten on the goggles was from the inside (i.e. i was sweating). This morning I wore a neck gator pulled up all the way over my nose today and got 0 fogging on the goggles. Why? I dunno, larger surface area, further from your face? Brain isn’t really working well enough to think about this scientifically.

[quote=fixed]i am NOT in ski goggle winter crew for any sports other than actual downhill skiing.
i also can’t stand having my face covered so it’s got to be BAD (like well below zero) before i’ll put something on my face.[/quote]

yes. my eyeballs definitely water really badly and i can’t see well when cold air hits them.
also i get ice cream headaches from cold air hitting my forehead, which the goggles cover up the gap between eyes/helmet.
i cover at least part of my face when riding if it’s below 40 degrees and i am road riding or commuting. dont typically need any face coverage when mtbing.

my head warms up quickly though if i actually push myself, but there isn’t enough time to do that on my sub-3 mile commute that is slightly downhill.

I’m also in the no goggle cru.
Especially if I’m riding in traffic. I find that it severely restricts my hearing and peripheral vision.

[quote=fixed]i am NOT in ski goggle winter crew for any sports other than actual downhill skiing.
i also can’t stand having my face covered so it’s got to be BAD (like well below zero) before i’ll put something on my face.[/quote]

If I didn’t wear glasses I would consider trying these. So funny looking

When I lived in the North-country of New York State during college we had some pretty bitter winters. There was a week where it hovered around -20 deg F and I remember my eyelids would stick together when I blinked (and my nose sides would do the same). Wished I had some sort of goggles to get to class.

That’s wild!

i definitely don’t mind riding in -10 without anything covering my eyes or face. But I need to find a way to avoid fogging up my glasses. Riding without glasses is not a good solution when traction and road conditions are already pretty terrible. I guess contacts are one solution, but I’m not sure i can train myself to touch my eyeballs. I’ll try some cheap goggles and see what happens.

contacts kind of suck when it’s extremely cold or extremely hot. still better than glasses, though. i’m sure you could get used to contacts, it takes a little practice but it’s not bad.

Its amazing how balmy 16f feels after multiple consecutive subzero days!

yeah it was 10 this morning and i was extremely comfy. going to be a long while before the studs come off here though, roads are still solid hardpack snow. i could probably be ok on cross tires at this point.

my eyes get watery af from wind as well, as a glasses-wearer I’ve always been curious about ski goggles but it does seem like the interference would suck. plus I don’t really like my face being covered, I overheat super fast that way

I’m still commuting on the elephant + horizons, with the pressure drop from the extreme cold they still ride pretty well even on the slushy side roads which aren’t plowed + salted regularly, and they’re perfectly ok on the main roads which are clear but wet

with friday off I’m hopefully gonna drive down to a local backcountry XC ski area and do a bunch of groomed trail + singletrack fatbiking, but we’ll see exactly how shitty the conditions are; hoping for cold and clear!
still gotta get some bar mitts for this bike though because there seem to not actually be gloves that can keep my hands warm enough without that windblocking neoprene layer

still haven’t put on studs. Roads are either ice with packed snow on top or clear and wet and haven’t had any issues. I did slip once, but I was being cocky and was riding on open ice on a frozen lake. Dumb.