Babby, It's Cold Outside

Can you attach a little L-bracket under the disc brake bolt visible?
Did this extra hardware (furthest left) come with your fenders?

Yeah kludging it’s gonna be more work than actually fixing it, rivnuts are easy

Cool, I reached out to local carbon dude to see if he can help with this. I’d never heard of a rivet nut, but looking it up it seems pretty standard, so I’ll see if I can figure out how to replace it myself otherwise. If all else fails, then yea I could just use an l-bracket like Andrew suggested.

thanks guys!

hey shart, winter in austin is starting to get pretty brutal huh?!?!???

Lol. Got hit by a drop or 2 of water this morning. Felt like an Iowa summer.

Personal life goal is to wear shorts until 11/1

Personal goal wear shorts until the next wedding I’m invited to. Throw some tights under there in a snowstorm and I’m good. Being fat has its perks.

I agree then I find myself pouring sweat on my bike when it’s 30 degrees out which is total bullshit

wear less clothing gunth

“If you’re not a little chilly during the first mile of your ride then you are going to be a puddle of sweat by the end”

• Some Person

I get all this. I think that I have a pretty good concept of layering I’m just especially sweaty no matter what. I should probably try and experiment with different types of base layers though. I’m definitely going to try out shorts with tights. Sounds too sexy

I liked vests. Kept the core warm but allowed more ventilation

That makes sense. Thought about using the goose down I’m going to start harvesting for a vest. I’ve never really worn them though

Vests are very good. Definitely perfect for sweaty fat guys like me for most of Seattle winter.

Other nice thing about a vest is that if you are burning up you can unzip it all the way and then you pretty much aren’t wearing it. As a fat dude, I think a wool blend baselayer, surly wool jersey and down vest got me down to the high 20s. I think it had to get down to the teens before a full sleeve down jacket made sense.

And just go ahead and order grip mitts right now shartmo. If you run flat bars you can get the $15 atv mitts off eBay or amazon

I’m not even a fat guy, and vest lyfe is best lyfe. Fleece back, Windstopper front. Only piece of clithing I own that isn’t subject to the Ten Year Rule.

So turns out that on closer inspection the rivnut on that side just seemed to be seated a bit deeper, so I was able to make do with a longer bolt. The other one just wasn’t catching the threads enough to hold the fender stay on.

First rainy ride of the season today and it was coming down fairly hard. Got to test out my new showers pass stuff. I picked up one of these: https://www.showerspass.com/products/mens-spring-classic-jacket and some of their waterproof socks. The socks were great until about 10 minutes in when water started running down my leg and pooling at the bottom, then they were awful. Felt like I had my feet in two fishbowls the whole rest of the ride. Luckily that was only another 15 minutes. I would have been quite annoyed if it was a longer ride.

The jacket worked pretty well, and was super comfy. Way better than my old one (some cheap sugoi or something?). The sleeves would get cold in places where they weren’t making contact with my arms, and I thought maybe it was soaking through, but when I got back my jersey was pretty dry.

Just need to find some better gloves and some solution to the socks thing and cali-rain riding will be nbd.

Those of you that rain-commute, how do you get your stuff dry before it’s time to go home?

I’m someone who’s always commuted in regular clothes, so I just wear my rain boots (rubbery ll bean jawns), a pair of somewhat breathable rain pants that can cinch over my boots (with regular pants underneath), and a rain jacket. Always long sleeves under the rain jacket so it doesn’t feel cold and clammy. Shaking out the rain jacket and pants gets enough water off to be dry by commute home. If any of my regular clothes underneath were damp, i just deal with it – they’ll dry off in 15-20 min, and at my old job I was honestly usually drier than my cow-orkers who were taking the subway.

I normally commute in regular clothes but when it’s raining I’ll put on bike gear, then change at work.Usually just cross my fingers that it’s not raining by the time I want to go home. If it’s still raining, I guess you could just put the wet clothes on because you’re going to get wet anyway lol

First snow. Pretty excited.