You break a road chain almost every time you install one. There are usually five or six more links in the chain than are necessarily. Chains are sold to fit the width of your gearing, not necessarily the length. They are broken all the time to accommodate the different types gearing, regardless of the speed of your drive train. So if you have a triple and a long cage derailer, you’re going to use more chain that someone with a short cage and a compact crank, regardless of whether or not they’re both ten-speed Shimano setups.
Master links are one of my favorite “duh!” parts. When you first see how awesome and easy they are you go “duh!”
+a billion
If my chain gets really filthy I take it off and clean it, but bonechilling is right that the major advantage of the masterlink is installation. It is surprisingly easy to mess up the installation of the Shimano joining pin. If the chain snaps you can crash, loose the rear derailleur and in a few cases rip the hanger right of the frame.
I messed up a Shimano joining pin once and ended up pulling a nuts to stem manuever when mashing up a step technical hill on my MTB. Chances are, Shimano will be the main reason I can’t have kids in the future.
This is making me worried, since I just put a shimano chain on my new bike. It didn’t come with a ‘special’ pin so I just pushed out an existing one and then pushed it back in. ::worried face::
2008 Shimano Ultegra SL
Hotttt. I’m putting the whole group on my road bike. I’m building a beater geared bike using my old 105/Ultergra group based on that cheapo Nashbar frame.


Dura Ace

Oh that’s just ridiculous hot.
I am so over Shimano.
SRAM representin’

Pfft, you don’t get over Shimano, Shimano gets over YOU!
Sram is ugly (so is the new DA) and the red accents have a HUGE potential to clash with other colors (I’m thinking blue, specifically).
[quote=“Rusty Piton”]Dura Ace
[/quote]
Dura-Ace watch?
Fine, save a couple hundred and go with force
[quote=“blickblocks”][quote=“Rusty Piton”]Dura Ace
[/quote]
Dura-Ace watch?[/quote]
Its actually a count-down timer until you need to replace your chain.
[quote=“room203”]if i got that chainring id powdercoat it to match my veeeez.
lately ive been lusting for a modolo stem:
[/quote]
I’ve got one. Are they worth something?
[quote=“NitroPye”][quote=“blickblocks”][quote=“Rusty Piton”]Dura Ace
[/quote]
Dura-Ace watch?[/quote]
Its actually a count-down timer until you need to replace your chain.[/quote]
Hahahhahhhhhaaaa, gold!
SRAM shit is so fugly.
Is it the black thats not doin it for ya? Check out rival then…

But then again I’m loving my SRAM stuff so much it’s turning me into a fan boy.