Badass bikes that aren't yours

We MUST know this rider, right?

2 Likes

yeah are you sure there’s not a tarck sticker on that one?

What is that bracket thing connecting the headset to the top tube?

1 Like

Also curious about this

It’s a steering lock

1 Like
1 Like

I see

EVO, Nylon toe clip straps with steel buckle, Black

2 Likes

iirc @adem has one

I was looking for something similar - a flick stand - and @Blakey delivered with a BNIP that I put on a bike I’m not ready to share

1 Like

@jame5on @Shamp Laser_beige nailed it. my brief review: it makes loading/unloading a front basket way easier. No need to have one hand on the bike at all times/clamp the front wheel between your legs/whatever. Also prevents the front end from flopping around and rolling away when you try to park the bike by leaning it up against something.

Kinda dumb $$$ for what it is but honestly a game-changing accessory if you regularly go grocery shopping with a basket bike instead of a purpose-built cycletruck or cargo bike.

yeah you could do the same thing with a strap from the DT to the front wheel or whatever but that’s not one handed, zero thought, always-on-the-bike

8 Likes

zero thought is a big deal. i need to re-apply my lock on basket setup. worth its weight in gold. then i need to finish my pipe dream of a hidden full flat and mechanical tool kit

From that review someone linked to the lower profile Tout Terrain part. Any experience with it?

1 Like

Looks like there are frame tabs keeping that lower plate from rotating

1 Like

yeah it’s a neat system, but it’s proprietary to Tout’s frames.

All of their bikes have this lug on either side of the head tube, and there’s a collar clamped onto the steerer with a bit protruding downward off the front. This limits the steering to 90 degrees to either side. Prevents the handlebars from thwacking the frame I guess? Not sure I really see the point of this by itself.

The early version of their steer locker was a retrofit kit for their older frames. There’s a bit that fits between the headset cup and the frame, and registers against the forward faces of that lug to stay centered.

You could probably make a version of this that you could braze onto a non-Tout frame?

The newer version bolts to the underside of the steer limiting lug:

5 Likes

My new LBS sells some pretty sweet cross bikes in their livery. The have simple commuters too.

10 Likes

I kind of want a single speed with dick breaks for commuting. Any idea how the chain is tensioned on that Turin?

ebb, it looks like.

3 Likes

Your new LBS should be Mack’s in Evanston.

Who makes those for Turin?

1 Like

Not sure but I’ll find out tomorrow.
Mack’s would be my shop but it’s totally out of my way. Turin is right on my commute so it works great. Also it’s been around since 1956 so they’ve got all the old weird stuff I love.

3 Likes