Bar Fight!

i’d say your average ‘urban’ / commuter / casual rider who’s using drops totally does not need them as they never ride in the drops. at least this has been my experience in people i’ve talked to. therefore i think it’s better to have an alternative…

i like risers but i’ve pretty much always ridden on riser bars in some form my whole life between bmx and mountain bikes. i feel really in control in that hand position and don’t particularly like / need an aggressive position.

i don’t really know about straight bars except that people always cut them too fucking short.

i think some bullhorns look far more ridiculous than others but i’ve never ridden them so i can’t knock them. i’d like to try them but i have a feeling i’d probably ride the straight section in them more than the horns…

oh and i don’t know why ourys are the go-to grip for all applications but i actually do find them quite comfortable and have absolutely no problem with them. i’ve used far worse.

cinelli has the oyster that allows this, it opens up like an oyster. just don’t loose the faceplate, because then it looks like shit.

[quote=halbritt][quote=bold]Getting me some risers. We’ll see how i feel about bars in three weeks.
I’ve got two different ergo bars coming. I’m gonna be riding tapeless for a bit if you dickshits can handle that.[/quote]

You can’t quickly throw some worn-out tape on the bars?[/quote]
Not when i’m gonna be micro-adjusting the hoods and trying out different stems on two different pairs of bars, no. We’ll see how long that lasts though.

I ride with track drops and frequently use the drops when it’s windy.

cinelli has the oyster that allows this, it opens up like an oyster. just don’t loose the faceplate, because then it looks like shit.[/quote]
The Oyster is not a good looking stem. Those black bits and that downward sweep are hideous.

nitto’s pop-top’ish stem is good looking, has some blue on it i think, look it up

[/quote]The Oyster is not a good looking stem. Those black bits and that downward sweep are hideous.[/quote]
if the oyster and 1a could just have a baby.

my reply is by my avatar on that post.

completely unavailable.

fact: risers are great for the back and wrists, shitty for long, long rides–whole days in the city are fine, though.

fact: bullhorns are great and allow you stretch out and open your lungs wider than drops and have great hand positions for hills

fact: track drops look great and are useless except for on the track where most track riders wouldn’t use them anyway. no comfortable positions in this boy’s opinion.

fact: wide drops feel weird on my shoulder muscles. try walking around all day with your arms out a few inches from your sides, similar effect. shoulder width, okay, but see the lung thing under bullhorns for why i prefer horns to drops in all applications.

completely unavailable.[/quote]
Crystem blue? Yeah, pretty hard to find. And I’m not convinced about their attractiveness (esp on 60s/70s bikes) but if I found one I’d definitely consider it.

I’ve recently been tempted to buy one of the Lyonsport adjustables and buy three or four extra clamps (not a good look for a 70s machine, but it has its charms). Anyway, it seems he’s taken them off the website and I can only assume that means they are no longer available.

Fact: Even though track bars are stupid i know a few people who can pull it off. But you have to be an unusually great guy/gal and strong rider to overcome it.

[quote=zelah]Went back 10 pages just incase this was a repost

Yell at eachother about bars in this thread

I’ll start

FACT: track drops look great, you’re riding in the city, no shame in spending all your time by the stem
FACT: Bullhorn in all form are ugly
FACT: flat bars > risers all day every day
FACT: for the love of tarckbear put SOMETHING on your bars, naked bars are the worst possible thing.[/quote]
/thread

FACT: all of those facts are bogus, except for the naked bar thing.
FACT: you are an idiot.

fact: i can ride my bike with no handlebars

fact: the previous fact is fict

Riding by the stem just means you’re too much of a dumb fuck to figure out proper hand positioning, I dont care where you are, it’s poor form and uncomfortable unless your chest cavity is collapsed or you’re trying to make your (man) tits look bigger (I seen the bootie short track stand pics).
Give me one good reason risers/horns are better than drops in the city. They arent, no better clearance, you can set up drops with a rise stem in a similar position and you get more hand position choices.
Skinny drops are shit and were made obsolete in the 70’s when people realized proper shoulder position made for more efficient, faster and more comfortable riding.
Flat bars are no better than riser bars, unless you are a dumb fuck and decide you want to ride by the stem (see point 1)
Your key concern for bars shouldnt be visual, it should be utility, comfort and efficiency.

FACT: Zelah doesnt know shit for shit about bars.

define narrow drop… i’m calling a 40 cm narrow.

Randos over road bars for the city? (tops slightly raised and curved back, slightly less drop)

Fact: chopped and flopped track bars make comfortable horns
Fact: dummy levers are great and not nearly common enough.

Noodles, randos, or ergos. Any set of drop bars with comfortable tops and flats is great for the city.

FACT: wrist-down hand positions will crimp your style (and the median nerve in your wrist).

as much as i hate risers on track bikes i have to say this a wide riser bar or straight bar is very useful for obtaining leverage at least off road