Be Kind to the Be-Hind aka #saddlechat

theyll be in later this week per the website

I have no interest in the “active”.

Pretty forthright explanation of the SQLab shortcomings:

I’m still a fan.

If my ass loves the original Flite, what will it love in a current, preferably synthetic and weatherproof saddle?

I switched from a Flite to an Ergon SR a couple seasons ago. No regrats.

1 Like

This isn’t exactly relevant to @Bearpants question, but you reminded me to share my recent saddle testing. I’ve been riding the modern(ish) Flite (wider and squarer than the classic Flite) for several years. The original Flite was too narrow for me.

Recently, I’ve been wondering if the Flite’s shape has been exacerbating an adductor injury. I just tried a Fabric Scoop Flat for the first time yesterday and the slightly narrower nose and more rounded front edge to to the back section meant there was no hamstring/adductor attachment pain. I’m super excited. There’s still a little dithering to be done with saddle angle, but it’s already much better for me than the Flite.

A few months ago I tried an Ergon SR which I wanted to like; the scooped up rear seemed good for pelvis rotation, but I found too squishy. I also tried the tarek-approved SQlab, which was promising but it felt like I was always sliding off the sit bone platform and scooting back onto it. I’ll be selling that here soon.

All that said, I wish there was a whatsaddle.com companion site to whatbars.com.

2 Likes

FWIW, this is a common complaint. Something I experience so infrequently it doesn’t bother me, but it’s still a characteristic of the design.

1 Like

Well, apparently I’ve got a common tuchus.

1 Like

“Recently, I’ve been wondering if the Flite’s shape has been exacerbating an adductor injury”

This was my experience with the new Flite on my mtb. Too tractor seat-y because of the abrupt flare. Same bike has a Fabric Scoop (Radius?) now.

1 Like

that’s awesome with a dropper post though

the shelf gets you an extra-padded spot for resting on when the dropper is down

and the fully-extended saddle height is higher so you don’t slide back by accident

Heads up to the SQLab lovers - I’ve got one for sale in the marketplace, plus a couple Flites.

(also paging @Andrew_Andeson)

I’ve become aware just how much I slide up and down the nose while riding and I’m curious to try a saddle that fixes my position, hopefully creating a bit more stability.

I found an SMP test hook-up in the nude beach. I can test out 3 saddles for 4 weeks and just pay return postage.

I’ve read all the Steve Hogg and Colby Pearson stuff, and looks like i’m right in between small / regular width (~11.25cm seated cardboard test).

Which 3 should I try? I’m not super into padding, but was thinking these 2 (same shape)

• Forma (no padding)
  • Dynamic (minimal padding)

And maybe

• Drakon (same shape, more padding)?
    or
  • Blaster (narrower)?

Any other recs?

i sold my forma coz it was too much asspain and i have 1 x dynamic and 1 x drakon

i can ride both without nix fine (to comment on padding)

no idea about the blaster

i’m a 29 inch waist fwiw

1 Like

My drakon just works with my b17 shaped ass. It’s nowhere near as fussy about angles etc as any flat saddles ive used. It is very highly conducive to flat back/ pelvic roll style riding on the pelvic ramus. totally solved my issue where pudendal nerve damage made me cry myself to sleep following large scale rando efforts. Ymmv

3 Likes

Thanks! I may skip the Forma then and just focus on Dynamic vs. Drakon then.

Good to hear, this is definitely a consideration atm - I’m spending more time in the drops and have been experiencing numbness at certain times.

2 Likes

I listened to a bunch of that Colby Pearson stuff recently and I sort of come away thinking that his recommendations were for people riding up to a certain number of hours. Anecdotally speaking, my arse will tolerate a bad saddle for almost 3 very long days days before it becomes an issue. I’m just saying that a “pro” fit may not necessarily be that relevant to endurance, ultra endurance or even touring type of riding. I don’t have any answers. When I find something good I tend to stick with it It’s damn cool looking at what works for you guys tho. Specially as my best saddle is still the B-17. I just hate the way it weighs so much. FYI a 168 mm Spec Power saddle strangely works really well despite me having an unsubstantial arse. I’m pretty keen to look at some of these recommendations.

It works okay for me, though I’ll admit that I may be an outlier. I’ve focused a tremendous amount on getting my fit dialed while also getting as aero as I can not for any good reason other than the fact that I face stiff headwinds nearly every day on the rides that I do.

So, I ride every day and I’ve done ~6hours in the saddle with very little discomfort. Ironically, my gravel bike has a more relaxed fit and I typically end up sore in places after a couple of hours on that bike. It’s not as well-dialed.

I would expect his advice to work for that amount of time as it’s not that long in the scheme of things.

I get your point now if 6 hours = “not that long” and…

I’m assuming you mean all day in the saddle, like 10-12 hours or some such? I wonder how my setup would do in those circumstances. Unfortunately, I don’t have many opportunities for that. How often do you do get a chance to do events like that?

Yeah, I am talking 18 hours in the saddle back to back. Some people get to do that a lot. I dont, as my leave passes are very hard won, but that is the issue. The only way you can see what is going to happen is in an actual event. I dont know anyone that rides for 3 days with 18 hours rest, to see if their saddle works ; ) thats why its good to see what works for other folks, even tho comparing results is a seriously fraught business with saddles. Just knowing what is out there is a good start. At least manufacturers are moving away from narrow road based designs what were disasterous for other applications.

1 Like