Benjamin M. Erickson - Elderbear

I think it’s okay if this has its own thread outside of the brohugs thread.

For those of you that don’t know, Ben passed away last night. I didn’t know him well and never got the chance to meet him but I know a few of us did. Seemed like a really rad dude and judging from the abundance of memories people are sharing on his Facebook profile, it was absolutely true.

Riff in peace, dude.

Obituary

[quote]Benjamin M. Erickson, 30 of Minneapolis, formerly of New London, died unexpectedly Saturday, September 5, 2015. Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m. Saturday September 12, 2015 at the Evangelical Covenant Church in New London. Visitation will be from 5-9 p.m. Friday at the church and for one hour prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred. Arrangements are with the Johnson Funeral Home in New London. 320-354-2211 www.hafh.org

Benjamin Michael Erickson was born on November 27th, 1984 in Moorhead, MN to Michael & Connie Erickson. From the moment he came into the world, he brought joy to all he met. Ben & his family moved to Willmar, MN, at the age of five where he attended kindergarten at Community Christian School. They then moved to New London, MN where he attended 1st through 12th grade, graduating in 2003 from New London-Spicer High School. He was confirmed at the Evangelical Covenant Church of New London, and was an active member of the church’s youth program and music leadership. He continued his education at Southwest Minnesota State in Marshall, MN, where he graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2007 with a degree in English Literature, a minor in Psychology and completion of the Honors Program. Ben was also the recipient of the SMSU Alumni Association 2007 Outstanding Senior Award. For two years after graduating, Ben worked at Como Park High School for Admission Possible, where he helped underprivileged students prepare and apply for college. He also worked at Freewheel Bike and most recently at the Hub Bicycle Co-op where he was a worker-owner and manager of their U of M Bike Center location. Throughout his life Ben had many interests, all of which he tackled with abundant enthusiasm. During his school years he played basketball, was in band, cross country, & track. He began playing guitar in high school and explored any and every opportunity to make and share music with others. He was also an avid cyclist; recognized, known, and loved by nearly every bicyclist in Minneapolis.
Ben was full of infectious joy and unreserved love, and was a best friend to anyone in his presence. He was a precious son, brother, godfather, grandson, nephew, cousin, and generous friend.

Benjamin is survived by his parents, Michael and Connie (Olson) Erickson of New London; brother, Christopher & wife Sarah Erickson of Minneapolis; grandparents, James and Marilyn Erickson of Alexandria, MN and Malcolm Olson of Melfort SK; aunts, Pam Wilke of Watertown, WI, Pattie (Larry) Peterson of Wetaskiwin, AB and Elaine (David) Johnson of Durban, MB; uncle, Marvin (Gwynne) Olson of Saskatoon, SK; and loving cousins and countless friends. He was preceded in death by his grandmother, Ella Olson and uncle, Bob Wilke.[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. RIP, Ben.

Shit’s fucked up and bullshit.

I never met Ben in person but I sold him my beloved Cross-Check, which he called the Surf Check due to its provenance.

Was someone I always really wanted to me. RIP buddy.

Shit’s fucked up and bullshit.

I never met Ben in person but I sold him my beloved Cross-Check, which he called the Surf Check due to its provenance.

Was someone I always really wanted to meet. RIP buddy.

Was someone I always really wanted to meet. RIP buddy.

I just saw this on fb. God dammit.
Ride with the great tarckbear in the sky.

It sucks. I’ve seen a lot of homies from mpls post about losing a friend, and homies at naccc saying the same… I wouldn’t have expected it to be ben though… Its so strange, its so hard to comprehend. I’ve got to meet him once and instantly loved him…

Its been a hard 2015, I’ve been seeing a lot of friends homies leaving us…

RIP. Cool poster, funny, friendly, always seemed stoked on bikes and friends and stuff. And his bikes had a bit of personality. One of those guys who when you see he’d made the last post on a thread you’d click on it knowing there would be something interesting to read. I never met him or anything but I’ve thought a lot about him today and I’m pretty bummed he’s not around any more.

Damn, it always sucks losing people… Even more so from here.

My hugs goes out to all you who knew him, even remotely.

Spent the morning reading fb posts from so many that had the good fortune to know him. A shame more won’t get to.

Met him all but once in person, but like the rest here, could just share in his presence.

Oh the days of short beards, respectively.

teh misfit (tarckest bike tarcklebee 2009? winner)

riff in peace bro

He genuinely seemed like a positive and upbeat dude, and everything I’m reading about him holds true to that.

The world lost a giant in tiny shorts. RIP buddy.

I still don’t really know what to say.

Ben seemed to have that stay young forever type of mentality. And unfortunately, that’s hiding something dark a lot of the time. I’ve lost a small handful of friends who were a hell of a lot like Ben. Always upbeat, always a great person to be around, always the life of the party, but fighting something that’s really hard to overcome any time that they’re alone. It’s a goddamn shame that he couldn’t handle it.

I really saw a lot of myself in Ben, like the two of us were the same person who just happened to take different paths at a fork in the road at some point. I think that’s one of the reasons why this is so weird for me. I could easily see myself living the life that he’s lived over the last however many years, but I somehow stumbled into a path that lead to me slowing down and getting to a point in my life where it was easier to me to deal with my mental, emotional, and chemical issues. But I guess that’s more about me, and less about him.

To say that I’m going to miss him isn’t really accurate, because he wasn’t really an active part of my life. But to know that so many others are going to miss him truly speaks to the impact that he had while he was around. He was a rare breed, and it’s really too bad that he isn’t with us anymore.

He always came across as a cool dude, sorry to hear about the loss. Does anyone know what happened?

damn this is shocking. rip ben

based on reading the comments here it is apparent what happened

I struggle with similar issues so this is hard to hear

sad news

Bummed.

[quote=catdrew f]based on reading the comments here it is apparent what happened

I struggle with similar issues so this is hard to hear

sad news[/quote]
I think it’s mostly speculation based on what people have said on his Facebook profile. It certainly seems that way though.

If you need anything ever, you’ve got endless resources here at your disposal.