Best track chain?

I’ve only used Z and Kool chains. I like 1/8" because the rings and cogs last so much longer, but multi-speed road chains are so much lighter that it’s silly. What’s 1/8", light and inexpensive?

blicks, are you turning into a weight weenie?

(will a lighter chain really make a significant difference? i’d be more concerned with performance than weight, i think.)

I like the Sram PC-1.

I use the sram chain above or the Wipperman Whitestar. I can’t say that I have weighed them, though. You kind of give up on that when you choose 1/8".

Really? I been runningthe same 3/32" stuff for over a year through salty winters n’ haven’t noticed any crazy wear…

Nor will you. The 1/8" stuff is mostly a fetish.

PC1 for 1/8". I always use the silver one for track and singlespeed mtb.

If you are running a 3/32" any of the sram 8 speed chains will work perfectly. Most guys I know running 3/32 on a track or ss mtb opt for this set up.

+1 on the Sram PC 1.

When carrying a new chain and rings in my backpack, I ride a lot slower because my drivetrain effectively weighs twice as much. I can see that some of this effect would carry over to riding a 1/8" setup versus riding a 3/32".

sweet the pista came with a PC1

Ever since discovering the PC-1 that’s all I run. Good chain for the money and not a whole lot of money to get one… definitely beats the low-end Z chains that come stock at most LBS’s around here in 1/8".

[quote=“conor”]blicks, are you turning into a weight weenie?

(will a lighter chain really make a significant difference? i’d be more concerned with performance than weight, i think.)[/quote]

Come on, you’ve seen my bike. Weight weenies choose parts that are light but sacrifice durability and longetivity. If I cared so much about weight I’d be using 3/32". As I said in the post, I like 1/8" because the parts last longer. I just think the chains I’ve been using are unnecessarily heavy, and definitely not high performance.

Can’t I ask a simple question about chains without being critiqued and having to repeat myself?

I’ll check out the PC-1. I know some people use Wipperman, are those any good for the money?

z chain…lol. the izumi “eco” chain is about the best thing going under $60. why do people like the PC1? it’s quieter? hooey. i think it’s just that white people love SRAM.

you could go with a kmc 710 sl chain but don’t get any colored nonsense…oversprayed crap

i lub mah sram pc1

i was like “hey this guy knows whats up with izumi eco” then i saw that it was you, and you were the one who turned me on to it. haha.

but to summarize - izumi eco

That’s rhetorical, right? You realize what forum you’re on?

In other news, I’m not a big fan of wipperman chains. I think they’re overpriced.

+1 on the PC-1 and another +1 for the KMC 710SL.