Bicycle Secrets

Bobby - yup, subcontracting makes this whole thing a big blurry mess. It’s entirely possible that there aren’t “numbers” in the way that I’m imagining them, as if Amazon were some massive 20th century style conglomerate. Amazon’s impact is even tougher to track because of it’s geographic dispersal; WalMart, by dint of having physical stores, can have its impact traced by relation to actual landscapes (as in smalltown main street is fucked when the Supercenter opens out on the edge of town).

It's totally not my area of expertise, but I am fascinated by the idea that there may be these huge epistemic gaps in the dispersal of power and capital and the dispersal of available (or even possible) information about those things.  

BICYCLE SECRET: you should probably grease your seatpost more than you currently do, and also your saddle is probably not at the best possible angle.

bicycle secret: lube and tighten those chainring bolts if there is a creak down that way

Make sure that you can clear the “top-tube” of the bicycle while standing over it.

Bicycle secret: Fill your tubes with water to increase downhill momentum!

or, if running tubeless, fill the entire tire with sealant.

I like that every bicycle box in the universe has a version of that warning graphic. My assumption is that long ago, a very powerful legislator must have absolutely clobbered themselves in the groin and been like NEVER AGAIN

[quote=mdilthey]
But if we are gonna try and be good citizens, concentrate where it matters. Upgrade your home, drive less, stop eating beef. Broad strokes. Don’t beat yourself up because it’s hard to buy zip-ties, we’ll get there. Be an example in your own circle with the more important stuff and campaign for change.[/quote]

Let’s hang out.

Bike secret: don’t buy a bike.

• Vegetarian
  • Don’t have car
  • All electricity generated by dynamo hub

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]

• All electricity generated by dynamo hub[/quote]

No need for a standing desk when your office is a dynamo-powered microgrid.

The vegan diet is the most sustainable, until you start buying brazil nuts to get your daily values in order.

[quote=hiimjoshimabike][quote=Andrew_Squirrel]

• All electricity generated by dynamo hub[/quote]

No need for a standing desk when your office is a dynamo-powered microgrid.[/quote]

I think we finally figured out why Squirrel wears the same clothes every day and only washes them every two months

I’ve never eaten beef. Like I tasted it once when I was a kid and decided it wasn’t for me. Then the same thing happened with all the other meats. In recent years, I’ve introduced some fish protein into my diet because my wife works on an aquaponic farm and we get free tilapia that she grows herself right here in Chicago!

i love eating beef and rolling coal and i also leave the lights on and only use very old appliances

An aquaponic setup in the basement is my dream.

I’m running an empty dishwasher for the third time today.

Eating fish is a minor number on the carbon scale, but it’s a major player in biodiversity.

There’s all this talk about farm-to-table and organic produce, but those “small batches” be more detrimental because more of it spoils faster, or more trips are required for delivery, etc.

Once you’re on the earth, if you don’t want to live a totally austere life, it’s hard to make a positive impact. Drive less. Eat less meat. Solar? Die early.

I’m beginning to think the best thing to do long-term is to not reproduce. Nature has shown it can achieve a balance, but humans are definitely overrunning it.

^ If you’re gonna reproduce, only do it once. Humankind could benefit from some reductions, and if everybody only contributed to the creation of half of a child for a few generations, it would help for sure.