Bicycle Secrets

Just watched “Children of Men” for the fourth time and that film has aged frighteningly well.

Or adopt. There are hundreds of thousands of children who need a loving home.

one kid crew checking in here.

Discovered this the other day:

Sqourx nipples take an “E5” socket, but disc rotor bolts that use a T25 driver happen to be the same size. So you can just screw a rotor bolt into a rod and use it to spin them up.

oh damn, must have missed the release of Epic Ride Weather app for IOS (previously only android).

and it now synchronizes with RideWithGPS for easy use!

For those that have never heard of the app:

This is great for those doing longer distance rides over multiple days in places with micro-climates.

Thats pretty cool.

[quote=Blakey]Discovered this the other day:

Sqourx nipples take an “E5” socket, but disc rotor bolts that use a T25 driver happen to be the same size. So you can just screw a rotor bolt into a rod and use it to spin them up.[/quote]

Holy shit

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]oh damn, must have missed the release of Epic Ride Weather app for IOS (previously only android).

and it now synchronizes with RideWithGPS for easy use!

For those that have never heard of the app:

This is great for those doing longer distance rides over multiple days in places with micro-climates.[/quote]

This is awesome and I’m totally checking this out for my multiple hour rides passing through multiple micro-climates. Thanks!

This is kind of the worst / most irrelevant secret ever.

I bought Sram’s 7-speed XO1 downhill group last year because I wanted a 7-speed Pugsley, but I didn’t go through with it. i sold everything except the cassette, which is sitting in my basement.

Well, without the big fat spacer on the end, the 7-speed cassette fits my Hope Trials SS hub perfectly. So, if I wanted to, I could set up my Crockett as a 1x7 using that cassette, the Sram DH derailleur and shifter, and the Paul drop bar MTB shifter mount.

I just think its funny that Sram picked the SS cassette as the spacing for their 7-speed… intentional? Some other quirky DH spacing thing i’m not aware of?

People have been building 5,6,and 7 speed cassettes onto free hub type ss wheels for a while now. (Depends on exact hub and cog spacing what combos will work). I’m sure SRAM designed with that in mind, that some DHbros would be able to reuse existing wheels.

Jeff Jones has been suggesting exactly that for years now on his custom builds. Something something stronger wheels.

and i think oneup make a spacer to replace the 3cog carrier on road cassettes to give dhers the narrow spaced gearing on a price point

Dudes been doing that with individual spacers since forever. The oneup piece is cool, looks like it prevents shifting into the spokes.

They do, but SRAM makes a GX version of the cassette now that is a pretty good price. I actually unfortunately have both, but who knows, some future project etc. etc.

I have a king SS hub but it’s got the stupid proprietary cassette body (no narrow shimano spline)
The king isn’t wearing pants

It’s the world’s most expensive pie plate WTF LOL!

what the shit, why would you want to downgrade 11sp to 7? i don’t even???