Bicycle Secrets

Downhill. It’s a whole new world.

It’s the world’s most expensive pie plate WTF LOL![/quote]

Because DH racing.
Don’t need a ton of different gears, just the right one when it matters.
Wider gaps between ratios is preferred.
Dropping a chain off the inside of a cassette is not optimal for winning.

Am I the only one who thinks this is cool as shit tech for cross racing? I don’t cross race enough to know better, I just do the beginner practice sessions.

I hope so.

this would be the worst thing for cross ever. but of course the dilthey would prefer something with fewer gears
it’s ok i’m allowed to make fun of him, i race an sscx

Given that you only need about 4 gears for Cross, at most, it would make good sense. I’ve always wanted to try a 7 speed. I think 2x7 would rock for XC. It will probably come next when they give up on 1x. Here is a local wheel builders 1x7 attempt.
https://wheelworks.co.nz/jacks-pro2-7-speed-dishless-wheels/

Because then your hub can have wider flange spacing, with L and R symmetric and therefore a stronger wheel build.

Because then your hub can have wider flange spacing, with L and R symmetric and therefore a stronger wheel build.[/quote]
Yup. Lighter and stronger. Not often they happen together.

But doesn’t that require a shorter freehub body? Why would you use a spacer to 7speed on a regular freehub body?

The linked example above uses a single speed hub.

How do you convert a single speed hub from 11- to 7-speed? When using a ss hub, sure this makes sense. But we’re talking about the ridiculous aluminum pie plate that lets you do the 1 to 7 trick, but with an 11sp hub.

You are right. There are two convos going on here. Prolly my fault.

I generally blame Max in these situations, but I think it actually was him that derailed us to legit uses of 7sp in 2017.

For clarification. This is made in disc and rim brake by DT and many other brands. I never realized they can make a 7 speed cassette to fit this, but I though of a short stack before too. Just usually super strong applications tend to be the same as those that need wide range of gears.

Do we have any DH bros on this forum?

You are right. There are two convos going on here. Prolly my fault.[/quote]
Ah, that one I don’t know the answer to.

Not a real DH bro but sure I know some of the tech. Many modern DH rigs run 1x9 or 8/7 still.

Yes. This is still useful for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

I tore apart 10 speed cassettes and made 6 speed cassettes that fit on DT single speed cassette bodies. Just remember to pin them back together if you’re either strong or fat. You’ll cut through the splines, like I did.

[quote=motorbacon]I tore apart 10 speed cassettes and made 6 speed cassettes that fit on DT single speed cassette bodies. Just remember to pin them back together if you’re either strong or fat. You’ll cut through the splines, like I did.

[/quote]
Good tip.