Bicycle Secrets

Yep. My non-power legs managed that too, back in my 7 of 8 shenanigans days.

Or, don’t run spider less cassettes on aluminum freehub?

You have to run spiderless cassettes that are separated in order to get a decent range.

I wish all shimano hubs still were able to be pinned together.
I should really just get Ti freehubs on everything I own.

The hot setup used to be to take the 11-34 XT 9 speed cassette that had 6 cogs (17-34) on an aluminum carrier, mill off the backside of the carrier to make it overhang more, mill off the key spline, and run it with a 14t lockring cog.

If only someone made a longer freehub body to run such a thing…

Less likely to get your shit jammed in the spokes in the event of a crash, you can still get to the bottom

The lbs I used to go to circa-2003ish? Serviced hella dh bikes and I always found it interesting to see that some ppl used road danglers and cassettes on their 40+ lb behemoths. I guess it makes(made) some sense

You typically want a narrow cassette to keep the chainline as close to the center as possible and a short cage dangler to minimize chain slap. Mountain danglers are all mid or long cage, which are unnecessary if you don’t need to take up enough chain for a 36T cog. Road danglers in the short cage sizeway are usually good to 28T.

Actually might buy a SON hub at some point now.

Should try that… I am running a SON now and have spare Shimano connectors on hand…

is jdgesus on tarck?

Think he posted once. Maybe twice.

Oh yay

A photo of an aardvark or something

20170805_140306 by Jeffrey Carson, on Flickr

Tell me please what I am looking at

Spotted today in parking lot of local hiking spot. Owner removed the caps covering the threaded bosses for emergency tow loop. I’m assuming the rebar is threaded to match. Then they wrapped hella gaffer tape to make the OD match a roof bar and mounted a roof tray like it’s a hitch rack.

friend did that on his brz (doesn’t post much on here anymore). he bought a couple tow hooks off ebay the mig’d the threaded section to some short rebar sections. seemed to work really well for carrying a single bike (any longer and I think it would have gotten too flexy)

Yeah, I gave one side a wiggle and it was a bit wiggly. This doesn’t have to be a terrible idea, necessarily, but oh boy.