Bicycle Secrets

That could easily be made into an awesome piece.

Too bad that’s not.

Million dollar ideas? But most vehicles only give you one boss, either left or right.

but if you drive a jeep renegade you get that badass red tow hook on the driver’s side because you’re def gonna need towed out of the mall parking lot

yes i know those things are fairly capable but i still like to talk shit

I’ve come full circle and now think the FRS rig above is fully genius. I have quibbles with the execution, but it seems better than putting a roof rack on that car to carry a trail bike around. A little more attention to detail and it could be pretty legit. Maybe homeboy just has this rigged up for proof of concept before committing to better materials?

oh yeah i absolutely love that idea as well.

it’s indeed rare that you get two threaded bosses rated for load symmetrically placed, but in this application the proper diameter pipe with the right threaded ends, durable finish, and some blue loctite would be a great product.

Just don’t get stuck at the trailhead.

Have 10 speed iSpec shifters and need new brakes? Grab a set of SRAM discrete shifters, file down the two lips on the shifter mounting surface, enlarge the bore for the bolt for a M5 bolt and tap the shifter body with a 5x1 tap. You can run a M5 nut on just to make sure nothing moves.

Wait, what? Is that a SRAM shifter mouned to a Shimano shifter?

This might be less of a secret than a thing that few people have much use for, but:
if you’re using double stembags, you can connect the sub straps to each other and then cinch them down instead of running the straps under the fork crown. No wiggling, looks a little cleaner.

Customer had XT 785 brakes and 780 brakes, so no issues with iSpec compatibility. He replaced the brakes with XT8000’s and boom, welcome iSpec incompatibility. KCNC sells some clamps for iSpec B but no one else has anything. Problem Solvers 2.1 match makers are NLA and those would have worked with the hinged style SRAM clamps.

We had some SRAM Discrete clamps in the shop, so we filed down the small ridges on the surface that contacts the shifter and made it work. Came out great.

ISpec is the latest way Shimano is trying to convimce me to stop using their products altogether.

Edit: except their cassettes and chains.

I get it now. That photo still makes my head hurt, though. SRAMano.

Is there a cheat sheet for what ispec what fits what? I wanna delete a clamp or two on the Ibis. Also, ispec dropper lever?

There’s a bikerumor post about it I think. That’s what I used to find out THE ISPEC PARTS I HAD WERE INCOMPATIBLE

Ispec b (10 speed) is not friends with ispec ii (11 speed).

All 11 is ii?

Yeah. I-Spec II has way less adjust ability though. I can’t move my shifter out enough. That combined with the short levers sucks. But I’m used to it now cause it looks clean as fuck and I refuse to buy a new shifter for a new mount.

I mean, XTR, XT, SLX. If you want to make a non ispec ii shifter work with i spec ii, you need new shifter covers.

But non I-Spec II shifters don’t go to 11 and herein lies the issue approaching 2018.