Bicycle Secrets

[quote=iwillbe]Barrel bags are just generally bouncy without an elastic cord around the stem / headtube and some kind of internal structure. Banjo Brothers made a decent one a few years ago with both those things.

Stiffeners help, I have a couple of super cheap bags into which I put trimmed plastic boards (sold on Amazon as semi-disposable kitchen cutting boards), it made them less liable to swing around.

For about five years, I’ve had a back-burner project of making a barrel bag that’s easy to access while riding. It’s still in initial notes: “velcro pull tab? infinite daisy chain? …magnets?”[/quote]

I have a prototype I’m building utilizing purse snap magnets and a big lid type thing.

If you can find an 11spd shifter/freehub, the XT8000 11-34 cassette is now available. I forgot where the discussion started.

If you can find an 11spd shifter/freehub, the XT8000 11-34 cassette is now available. I forgot where the discussion started.[/quote]
It is CS-HG800 that is 11-34 and fits the 10s freehubs. XT CS-M8000 (mtb ones are doing 11-40/42/46), but would require too much fuckery for most people wanting the 11s upgrade.

[quote=Shortpants][quote=iwillbe]Barrel bags are just generally bouncy without an elastic cord around the stem / headtube and some kind of internal structure. Banjo Brothers made a decent one a few years ago with both those things.

Stiffeners help, I have a couple of super cheap bags into which I put trimmed plastic boards (sold on Amazon as semi-disposable kitchen cutting boards), it made them less liable to swing around.

For about five years, I’ve had a back-burner project of making a barrel bag that’s easy to access while riding. It’s still in initial notes: “velcro pull tab? infinite daisy chain? …magnets?”[/quote]

I have a prototype I’m building utilizing purse snap magnets and a big lid type thing.[/quote]

That’ll do it. I almost definitely want to buy one of those from you.
There’s a 2% chance that some local RVA bagmaker (Chris someone, you probably know him from back when) is going to actually come through with the barbag he and I have been discussing for eight months, but short of that, yeah, I could use something a little nicer than a Bushwacker bag with part of a cutting board Gorilla taped inside it.

Why not an elastic+hook arrangement like most rando bags main flap closure?

No stiffener.
Stiffener+bungee on a roundybag just tightens the diameter of the cylinder

here’s a thing

[youtube]Gv7GBE0Fx3U[/youtube]

That’s neat!

I have a similar buckle mechanism on my old Lazer Helmet! Magnetic buckles are the best, especially on helmets.

If you ever want to retrofit your stuff Peter Hamtramck gave me a heads up on this model which comes in a couple different sizes:
http://www.fidlock.com/en/fasteners/snap-helmet-buckle.html

The 15mm seems like it might be best for a helmet.
http://www.fidlock.com/en/fasteners/snap-helmet-buckle/helmet-buckle-15-durethan.html

Those magnet buckles are cool but wholesale for like $4 each. And not necessarily great for handlebar bags.

Magnetic buckles are great for kids helmets… They eliminate parental pinching, which you will know is a thing when it happens to you. My daughters both have nutcases with that feature.

I’m a big fan of the Fidlock magnetic buckles. Easier to operate when wearing gloves, IME.

Man, now I want to order a bunch of Fidlock snaps and turn everything I own into bootleg Outlier

Why not?

Heated handlebars! This looks amazing. Imagine if you could tie that system into a dyno

Doesn’t ODI sell heated grips and bar tape?

No idea. Googled it and yeah you are right.

Are pogies really that bad?

No idea. Never used them. Just came across this post and wanted to share