Bicycle Secrets

Pogies are great. The work, are cheap, and last forever (at least the neoprene ones do).
They are also ugly, so obviously there is some dumb engineered thing to keep things “sleek”, expensive, and questionably functional.

[quote=shane.rrr]https://www.instagram.com/p/BbKMUd5B-me/

Heated handlebars! This looks amazing. Imagine if you could tie that system into a dyno[/quote]

Had a customer who wanted to try this with battery power. I almost convinced him to power it with a dyno, but he didn’t quite get it. He’s also doing this to keep his hands warm on his walmart fixed gear while doing Caviar deliveries.

I had no idea that a 9 speed power-link would work on 10 speed chain. I guess I imagined the pins were of different diameters. I am not going stress about carrying 3 different size power-links quite so much anymore. The things you learn as your eyesight degrades.

no noise or engagement/shifting troubles?

Not a whisper. Smooth as. I only noticed it was the wrong one when I went to shorten the chain. Not something I would do on purpose, but I’m pretty sure it would get me home.

I’ve (eventually) diagnosed several drivetrain “clicks” in the past that were the result of a sloppy power-link but they were on quite worn chains, and they were actually the right size joiners, but could well have been a KMC or a SRAM joiner on a shimano chain or whatever combo. I do tend to re-use power-links regardless of whether or not they are supposed to be reused.

Carrying one or two 9sp quick links in your trail kit around here is essential, save any one’s ride home or down the mountain if a link decides to go bust on pretty much any chain.

Saved a new found friend that way in Slovenia 3 hours into a full day of trail riding. I suspect his 11sp chain still has that 9sp quick link on there with no issue.

Heh heh. Yeah hot tip. I’ve saved plenty of assess too. I don’t go anywhere without at least a couple of power links and boot and patch kit. And tube of course. But eye-balling tubes can be difficult so I default to a 26 minimum which fits most. Not tried to stuff a 29er in a 26. I guess it would work?

It can but you gotta be real careful not to twist it or anything, else it might pop inside the tire. It’s janky as fuck but it can be done.

I’ve also mingled 9s quicklinks with 10s chains. My last mtb chain went 2000km that way with no issue.
Totally into saving/reusing quicklinks for repairs.

I have never once thought of carrying a masterlink on me. Granted I still mostly ride track bikes and 1/8" chains are beefy but you’d think that with it being the only means of stopping/not dying this would have occurred to me before.

Have I been doing it wrong the whole time and should stuff a masterlink in my tool roll? Both for 1/8" and I guess 10speed?

I keep a link in my bag. Small enough

It’s easy to stash some quicklinks + spare links in the bar ends. Also have zip-tied to seat rail and cable housings.
My chains tend to snap in the woods amongst rocks. I did break two on the road, but never a 1/8 or 6-7-8s.

[quote=jdsmooth]It’s easy to stash some quicklinks + spare links in the bar ends. Also have zip-tied to seat rail and cable housings.
My chains tend to snap in the woods amongst rocks. I did break two on the road, but never a 1/8 or 6-7-8s.[/quote]

Most of my chain failures are on mtb. I’ve got like 3 quick links in my pugsley chain.

I was working on a bike the other day and the guy had a quicklink taped to his cable housing.

I need to start doing this.
I can recall 3 times in the last couple of years that I have broken chains and put them back together out in the dirt with a crankbrothers multi-tool and lots of swearing.

also, fuck breaking chains, omg my knees hurt just thinking about it. Injury induced patellar tendinitis at lest once a year over here.

I always have a quicklink in my rando bag. Right next to emergency blanket and first aid kit.

A quicklink is also useful to turn your bike into a shitty singlespeed to get home when you break your dangler on a rock

Quick link goes in the patch kit, next to the spoke wrench with a nipple taped to it.

In related news, I was replacing a rim and noticed it was Schrader drilled . I had been derpily putting presta valves in that thing long enough to wear it out from braking. So, maybe that’s not a big deal.

In quick-link storage news did anyone see this one yet?

Decent.

Now if it’s competitively priced (compared to lezyne or birzman) it’s probably worth having