Bicycle Touring

After reading on the Nitto Campee I’m definitely going with one for the front rack on the Palermo. So much win.

<3

My Bob Jackson frame should’ve arrived today, but the damned bank holiday has postponed that to tomorrow. I’ve got just four days to build and ride it now before leaving to Switzerland for a month. Fuck.

But I probably shouldn’t even build it since I don’t have the Dinglecog yet (come on, post), so it’s not worth buying and installing a BB based on chainline for a regular cog that I’ll never use.

If things work out, I’ll be biking from just north of Syracuse, NY to Boston, MA the end of June. My googlemaps planned route takes me through the Adirondack Park Preserve. ~400miles, figure it should take about 5 days.

Fucking psyched.

Nice.

My friend who I was supposed to ride to NOLA with is an unreliable jackass so I don’t even know if I’m going now.
:frowning:

Noooooo! I was so looking forward to kicking it with Rusty in my own turf. I really want to do some short touring this summer but I don’t have any reliable cycling friends and I’m not up for doing my first one alone.

You guys think that This:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Would be a good bike for him to get?
Seems alright and the price is right.

The “Windsor” brand hubs and rims would make me a little nervous.

It only needs to go 900 miles and then it can fall apart.

you can do the ride, and sell me parts of the drive train when you’re all done.

those hubs are probably just Formulas?

you’re not getting XT/ delgados on a $600 complete bike

I just did some googling and there were a bunch of complaints about rear spokes breaking. I’d maybe buy all new DTs and rebuild it by hand for a cheap fix.

Personally i’d take a good handbuilt wheel with meh components over a shitty machinebuilt wheel with bling components.

I would think that they would say Formula. They do most other places. I would be inclined to save up the extra $300 for the LHT. Better bubs and rims, better crankset (far more suitable gearing), and a threadless headset (much easier to work on in the field). The Windsor would probably be fine, though.

LHT IMO. Rusty if your trip doesn’t happen, come over here and we’ll tour!

Money and time are an issue here. That’s why I picked such a cheap complete for the guy.
If neither were an issue, I’d just build up the nashbar touring frame for him.

what’s your time frame? how tall is the dude?

$600 will buy you a lot of bike on ebay.

Dude’s like 5’10".

bike to montreal

still tryin to plan this trip

[quote=Rusty Piton]Money and time are an issue here. That’s why I picked such a cheap complete for the guy.
If neither were an issue, I’d just build up the nashbar touring frame for him.[/quote]

For the circumstances, that’s probably optimal. It’s a complete, which means you don’t have to fuck with it (much) to get it going. The probability is high that the bike will make it. If you had time or money or the guy gave a shit, something nicer could be had.