Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

Are a bunch of dirty fuckers!
A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Open Pros laced to Ultegra with DT Swiss 14/15 double butted spokes and brass DT nipples.
The problems began immediately when I received no confirmation of the transaction from them.
My card had been charged but they neglected to make contact with me in any way.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited a day and when my email box was still empty the next morning, I sent them a message politely asking what the hell was going on.
Two days later I got a response telling me that the order had been received and was being processed.
I relaxed and waited for my wheels to show up at my office.

A couple weeks later, my mom calls me and asks if I’d had anything shipped to her house.
I was confused until I realized that my billing address is still my parents’ house.
BWW had fucked up and sent my wheels to my mother.
So I finally got around to going over there to pick em up and when I opened the boxes, I discovered that they had built my wheels with SINGLE BUTTED SPOKES! in spite of the fact that they’re not even an option on the website. They also included their shitty rim tape which I did not request.
In closing, everything about this transaction was fucked up on their end and I would never, ever recommend them to anyone friend or foe.
They are complete incompetents.

Fuck, sounds terrible.

What’s the line on how long until someone from BWW shows up on Tarck to defend themselves?

Double check the spokes, man. I thought the same thing till I replaced a spoke this week. Definitely double butted dt spokes. Starts 4 or so cm from the head.

THE SPOKES ARE BUTTED AT THE HUB END. I’M AN IDIOT

I’ve been building wheels/working in a shop for 7+ years and I was fooled. It happens.

that’s horrible rudy. now if only their prices werent so low that it’s hard to not look at them.

it’s about 70$ cheaper than LBS for a open pro cd / DT double butted / formula wheelset. at 280$shipped

i like my lbs though so i might have them build it anyway.

that sucks.

OTOH, i’ve bought two wheelsets from them and have had good experiences both times. but this definitely gives me pause.

This is what I get for not building the wheels myself. :colbert:

Gotta live up to that avatar and sig, bro.

Cheapasses on this site talked me out of it.

Shipping goods to your billing address isn’t an uncommon thing to do. It’s a fraud prevention thing. Sucks that they didn’t communicate with you, though.

As for the double-butted spokes, I’m with Nate. Have you checked them with a gauge?

Did you purchase this with credit? Maybe it could be resolved between your card issuer and BWW.

My experience with BWW has been basically the opposite. I was surprised at how fast they shipped and how well the wheels were built when I got them.

Also, the spokes on my Ultegra/OPs are very subtly butted. They look straight gauge, but you can feel the diameter change if you pinch the middle of the spoke and run your finger towards the rim.

[quote=halbritt]Shipping goods to your billing address isn’t an uncommon thing to do. It’s a fraud prevention thing. Sucks that they didn’t communicate with you, though.

As for the double-butted spokes, I’m with Nate. Have you checked them with a gauge?[/quote]
I will when I get home.

dt swiss double butted tricked me too.
until i got my dial caliper out.

i lost a bet that day

the dt spokes are only butted by the hub end of the spoke. you can feel it there. you never will notice the butting no the nipple end of the spokes…

I must have sensitive fingertips.

Previously the only recommendations I’d heard for this site were from people who said the wheels were “perfectly built” but also thought a wheel that needed to be trued a couple times per year was pretty good. Funny enough I’d actually consider them now after reading this thread (depending on how the butted spokes issue plays out)

I suspect they aren’t the worst company ever, but like a lot of online retailers are just a few dudes in a shop somewhere trying to keep up.

Ahem, Velo Orange, Ahem

I suspect that I’ll be making a retraction tomorrow.