Bicyclist beaten after telling other riders to get lights

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/35376494.html

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this couple riding around before. Should I tell them to get lights and keep my u-lock handy?

Fuck!

Those two should be pretty easy to spot on those bikes.

Last night I told a cute girl on a (brakeless) party foul that her blinkie was almost dead. She gave me a dirty look, but didn’t swing on me.

Note to self: when assaulting friendly old cyclists make sure to ride your rattlecanned matte black beater. Not a motherfucking orange orbea!

Saying “Get a light” when someone is poltie enough to say “passing on your left” strikes me as a really dick thing to do.

Certainly nowhere near something you should be beaten for, but that would piss me off if someone did it to me.

[quote=“ben”]Saying “Get a light” when someone is polite enough to say “passing on your left” strikes me as a really dick thing to do.

Certainly nowhere near something you should be beaten for, but that would piss me off if someone did it to me.[/quote]

+1

edited so I could agree

What a lame incident.

haha, weird typo.

What kind of crazed hyper-aggressive maniacs beat someone up for telling them to get a light? Seems unlikely. It occurs to me that the details of this story are incomplete.

Generally I find this true with almost any cyclist+violence story.

Generally I find this true with any one-sided story.[/quote]

fixed

Reminds me of the guy who threatened to kick my ass and rape my mother after I said “whoa there guy” after he swerved in front of me from the opposite side of the road to ride up on a sidewalk. While wearing all black and having no lights.

So apparently lots of people have seen these two riding around and someone even knows where they live. I’m going to follow this and see how it turns out.

i fuckin hate cyclists who ride at night with no lights
i can barely see their dumb asses when i’m on my bike
they’re worse than cars

haha - i was just thinking about posting this. i have the e-mails sent out to gdvc and uw-cycle lists. the victim was the owner of cronometro (a high end bike shop for you non-locals).

apparently they’ve already been identified by first name basis and neighborhood where they live - so i’m sure the cops are on their way.

i say everyone from now on tells them to get a light whenever they see them

hooray

—uw-cycle—
The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Collegiate Cycling Team
—uw-cycle—

From Alder-and-All-Around-Bike-Person Robbie Weber:
The victim was Colin O’Brien, owner of Cronometro on Willy St.

He’s OK, so that’s good.

I spoke to several other people in the area, and they think they know who this couple is and where they live, so my guess is that the cops are on top of this. Also good news.

As I said, the number of people that would be out on a cold night in December on South Shore Dr is relatively small ('tho not as small as most communities in the US!) The bikes are fairly distinctive, and we bicyclists tend to see the same people and same bikes go through our neighborhoods on a regular basis. Bicycling is much less anonymous than being inside a car.

Although we would all like to think that bicyclists wouldn’t stoop to road rage and violence, there are stupid, aggressive, and unstable people in all groups. Some people just lose it when faced with the smallest criticism. Their choice of transportation vehicle doesn’t change that.

Robbie

-----Original Message-----
From: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:gdvc@yahoogroups.com">gdvc@yahoogroups.com</a><!-- e --> [mailto:gdvc@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Nilsen, Paul - DOT
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 2:28 PM
To: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:'uw-cycle@lists.wisc.edu">'uw-cycle@lists.wisc.edu</a><!-- e -->'; GDVC (E-mail)
Subject: [gdvc] Madison bicyclist beaten after telling other riders to get lights

The first suspect was described as a white male, about 6 feet tall, wearing a dark-colored jacket and riding a Trek time trial bike .
The second suspect was a white female, about 5-feet-4-inches who rode an Orbea road bike with orange on the front.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/35376494.html" target="_blank">http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/35376494.html</a><!-- m -->

Anyone we know?

—uw-cycle—
—uw-cycle—
I’ve seen those two riding on Seminole, maybe 2 weeks ago. I’m sure a few calls to local shops would get at least a first name of one of the two. I can’t give more of a description though, although I think the Orbea she was on looked like a TT specific bike, maybe the Ora. I think it was black carbon w/ Orange decals. I JUST REMEMBERED that the guy’s TT bike is School Bus Yellow w/ Black decals. I’m 1000% sure of that.

Luca-

—uw-cycle—
—uw-cycle—

I blame hipsters.

You can totally tell the older guy was a biker though. Doubt most people would remember makes that well.

E11 or E7 was the TT bike. If that helps.

__

in actuality he was trying to sell them a light & got pushy…

Iv almost hit like 4 people on bikes due to them not having lights while driving my car at night. I fully support telling people to get lights no matter how much assery is involved.