Bike blerg thread

oh boy, he’s doing a super-high-offset guide pulley on his S!LVƎR rapid-rise dangler. that’s gonna shift like ass with multiple chainrings, even with a friction shifter.

is grant’s next thing gonna be going all-in on 1x, or is he just gonna double down on “skillful shifting is a moral virtue” and post that picture showing where your feet should be on the cranks when you shift for the millionth time?

2 Likes

I read the blargh, and he’s still gatekeeping but with more words.
He’s essentially saying that Rivendell is all about Diversity In Cycling as long as it’s Rivendell’s Type Of Diversity.

i was about to ask- did nobody notice this or is it a new thing?

ATMO the most offputting part of all of that post is the implication that anyones bike rides are too long. seems very antithetical to the riv life. also i don’t want to do more than an mile or two in my cotton undies, but i think i’m the snowflake there

He’s not saying you shouldn’t ride bikes - he’s saying you can participate in an activity in a way that works with your body and it’s cool if you don’t have the full kit and pound out big miles.

Is it written in a way open to be misinterpreted? Sure. But calling Grant a gatekeeper, sorry, I can’t buy that.

3 Likes

i feel like the offset has grown significantly since the last time we saw a pulley cage in CAD. The one they’re actually testing has an Altus cage grafted on, with extremely minimal guide pulley offset.

2 Likes

Disagree. He’s directly saying that if you don’t do it the riv way you’re doing it wrong.

The entire basis for his marketing is built on something else being the wrong way to do things and his way being the right way.

It’s not about presenting his designs and ethos and saying “I like this, maybe you will too”. It’s all about requiring racing/racers to be some sort of foil for him to point to as wrong to justify his design decisions.

We’ve talked about this ad nauseam, but when you move past pure aesthetics it’s gets harder and harder to justify his brand. We joke about how a Kona Dew or a Crust does what most Rivs do for substantially less money and it’s sortof true. What Grant really sells is Grant. So of course he’s going to lean into that. But it’s such a one-dimensional thing, he’s kindof run out of material. At least that’s how it seems to me. He’s becoming an exaggerated version of himself. Maybe it’s because he’s dug in so deep his followers would never let him change any way. Maybe he’s just an old troll.

14 Likes

Again suggesting a dedicated thread for rage-reading GP.

4 Likes

quarantine Jan Heine nonsense in there too and I’ll happily sign your petition and receive a newsletter

7 Likes

Is this not the bleurggg thread?

17 Likes

i would start my own bicycle sentences series but im not sure i could delve deep enough into satire to even touch what GP and his crew are cranking out.

15 Likes

if ur e-vape runs out of weeds your ride is too long

11 Likes

31 Likes

31 Likes

in b4 “take it to the GP thread” no i dont think i will. either you agree to shit on gp and jim hiney or you quit cycling.

26 Likes

if your ride is too long that means you’re wearing a chamois

4 Likes

last one. ok maybe not.

38 Likes

if ur shammy is too long I feel bad for you son

21 Likes

99 problems but a Riv ain’t one

14 Likes

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the gels began to take hold. I remember saying something like, “I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should captain.” Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge chamios, all swooping and screeching like cantilever brakes, and a voice was screaming, “Holy Jan Heine. What are these goddamn animals?”
Stoker: Did you say something?
“Hm? Never mind. It’s your turn to captain.”
“No point in mentioning these chamois,” I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.

31 Likes

I’m not gonna say all this Riv talk is making me want one, but is making me want to put a stupid pair of handlebars on my LHT

12 Likes