Bike blerg thread

ah - yes, you wouldn’t have any trouble with the hydraulic Magura rim brakes, as they’re not actually pivoting, so the mechanical advantage hasn’t changed at all - unlike, say, running V-brakes with a big pad adjustment range (like Paul motolites) and just shoving the pads waaay up on the arms.

The question is do the Magura’s mounts have enough adjustment range to put the pads in the right place. I guess we’re only talking ~12.5mm of adjustment necessary…

1 Like

I believe that a 27.5 hydro rim brake setup in the rear has already been disqualified because they will not line up. But that’s why I say go 26 rear 27.5 front!

I have a nice Brake Therapy rear disc conversion kit that could be for sale. They were basically made for this situation -people with nice old titanium “forever” frames built just before disc brakes came into fashion.

The kit I have is complete including the specific spacers and parts needed to use it with a standard Shimano cup-n-cone rear hub(these are very often missing). Includes instructions. I believe it could be used with other hubs but would need some research.

Not my picture, but this is basically what it looks like.

13 Likes

dude he’s gonna love that

8 Likes

yes of course you have that. i love seeing what comes out of the jimmy hoard

2 Likes

You need a new fork with rack mounts, because what could be as ridiculous better than a racked softtail?

3 Likes

A softtail with a Lefty?

3 Likes

Rhetorical question answered correctly

1 Like

I got a cheapie Alloy Masso from AliExpress and it was 7 grams lighter than the carbon one you are looking at. The Carbon one WAS for a 29 inch wheel tho. The Masso was nominally for 26 but also fit 27.5 and even a 29 inch slick. I just covered it in wide black insulation tape on day one and it’s still covered in it.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32857554149.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.6c12c3aSc3aSKp&browser_id=68a865fbe0b94382b7cbc0e95a883f55&aff_trace_key=2e0b859959504f229f9fae87ca6925f0-1640158241937-04942-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=m0geefmaucact2n817e29340b66c98ef68e1831037&gclid=

1 Like

I am going to actually keep this thread going because …

I spotted a nice old 26er wheel for sale with a DT Hügi hub (laced to some 36h Sun rim) and took it home for $150. While futzing around with it trying to get the freehub off to take a peek at the 18-click star ratchet, I realized that this is some real old '95 style Hugi hub that needs you to take off a NDS axle adaptor (which didn’t want to pry off) before you can unthread the DS axle adaptor. While sending pics to @Crustradamus, he pointed out that the threading on the NDS of the hub itself was probably for some tandem brake and then, sure enough, it turned out this thing is a 140mm OLD hub. That explains why the matching front wheel to it the guy was also selling is 40H. I can’t find if DT makes 135mm axles for hugis this old, so I don’t even know if I should:

A: continue trying to pry this hub apart, replace the axle, and then, idk, thread on a disc adaptor from this tandem site because sure, why not

B: return the wheel to the nice guy on craigslist who recognized Jalopnik and hunt down something else

EDIT: Going with B, will continue the hunt

7 Likes

10 Likes

I just binned a Hugi hub because parts are basically non-existent.

1 Like

Dude you need to stop
This is insanity
I’ve done some questionable bike shit (like adding a disc tab to a serotta CSI in 2013) but dude cmon

its his job

14 Likes

waaa I’ll take any unloved Hügis

1 Like

I assume you have seen these install/dismantle instructions?

Looks like from the parts diagram, the left axle end cap/adapter is the only thing that is OLD-specific. Of course there could be some tandem-specific fuckery going on, but I’d pull that cap off and see what it would take to drill/file/machine it from the current size down to 135.

Alternately, return it and buy these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265481517572?hash=item3dcfee7a04:g:tG8AAOSwebhh0jov

4 Likes

I dont want to sound too harsh, but returning something you bought on craigslist is a dick move (if it was represented correctly in the ad).

6 Likes

I know I felt really bad, but he had 'em listed as 135s. He must have just mis-measured

3 Likes

It isn’t clear to me but I would think that he would need a new axle? Also probably to redish the wheel.

1 Like

ah that’s totally fair then.

Also why I use Google Voice for cl, which is its own dick move