Bike blerg thread

there’s some other boomer mancave hoardings like model train sets and corvette collectibles that will see far greater floodings

7 Likes

Eh, hardly anything will be dumped. Estate sales folks know almost anything has value and are smart enough not to dump stuff. (And also the internet has made it waaay easier to do a quick check). And there are plenty of resellers who scour estate sales for stuff they know about and can flip on CL or FB classifieds, even if they don’t know the exact value.

In one sense that sucks because if you aren’t there first minute of first day at a sale, the good stuff is long gone to the pros.

The hidden bolt 6400 stem gave me a scare on the velodrome when it slipped. You had to crank so hard on it. This one at least has good bolt access

Wildest thing is the number of I’m presuming zoomers? whose brains see “Armstrong” and read “Neil” even when it says “Lance”

2 Likes

At least lance is being forgotten.

6 Likes

if it’s anything like the Shimano 600 and Dura Ace stems (that Nitto made for Shimano in the same time period), yeah, probably. You really had to crank the shit out of the clamp on those.

Don’t forget “collectible” Coca Cola and defunct gas station memorabilia

9 Likes

And money
Fuckin boomers collecting social security

4 Likes

No the worst is furniture. So fucking much furniture. My dad was complaining about how when they did his aunt’s estate the really nice (alright, average at best) furniture didn’t sell for shit. One of his buddies who is an antique dealer says no one is buying furniture and that they basically can’t get rid of it for a decent price.

So, that’s already happening.

3 Likes

It’s hard to fit a 12 piece sectional in a 600 sq ft apartment, for sure.

My parents have been trying to give me shit for years that I have no space for.

2 Likes

except modern stuff that’s skyrocketed

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a classic problem where a tiny fraction of it is art and the rest is shit.

1 Like

I visited a furniture consignment shop when sup was looking to furnish her new apartment and even clapped out designer stuff was only 30-40% off from new. Talking about a dining set with 2 of 8 chairs unrestored and needing reupholstering. Shop closed down a few months later.

Thrifting and antique shops aren’t fun anymore with the internet, especially when prices for unsold pieces are used to guide the market. Gonna be a lot of this the next decade.

Speaking of, any idea where I should unload my 9sp da/ultegra stuff?

8 Likes

Tyrone Biggums GIFs | Tenor

10 Likes

When I was 20, my parents gave me a coffee table that my dad had made by cutting down the legs of a giant KCMO library table.

When I moved to Seattle I left it behind in the punk house I had been living in. I think that upset my parents more than they ever let on.

But, what do you expect giving furniture to a 20 year old living in gross overcrowded punk houses? What did they expect? I wasn’t going to rent a truck to haul it 900 miles!

They still talk about it sometimes, nearly twenty years later. Boomers and furniture, man

10 Likes

I’ve started to test out random coffee and end tables to see how solidly they are built. Every year I turn more into my mother.

5 Likes

I see both sides of this one, and have been on the receiving end of grief from my folks after selling or giving away items that they gave me without any special significance communicated

at the same time, a piece of furniture that your dad “made” carries a lot of sentiment for someone like me. I would think of my dad when I used that table even long after he was gone and recall the way he cared for me with those gestures

2 Likes

My father recently refinished their (pretty ugly) family heirloom dining table. After this, he turned to the project of making my wife the dining room table she’s been asking for for us: A loose interpretation of a simple modern table she saw for like $4,500. He’s got stacks and stacks of dry wood in the basement, including stacks he took from his father’s shop when he passed last year. So he’s building this beautiful walnut table, and my mom keeps hinting she wants it, but she has this boomer mentality that she couldn’t possible get rid of this ugly-ass table my dad just refinished and get him to make them a nicer one.

6 Likes

I left furniture in a punk house I lived in, specifically a big circular coffee table I’d carved a massive pentagram into. To be fair, it wasn’t my table

5 Likes

My dad tried to give me a grandfather clock that my grandfather made. It’s an incredible idea but what am I going to do with a grandfather clock? My life is not setup for a grandfather clock.
Also I am completely practical about furniture. If my wife likes it, I will take it. If she doesn’t, then no. Also when we move, you better take it back or it will be gone. I refuse to be weighed down in life by furniture.

3 Likes