Bike blerg thread

Ah, so they didn’t fix their wages in response to the initial pushback? Sucks.

I’d agree that for ck prices hit and miss quality isn’t great.

pretty difficult for them not to

3 Likes

right in the name and all

1 Like

include me in the “CK BB is overrated” camp. Paying ~$180 instead of $35 for a Dura Ace BB is a steep upcharge just to have the anodizing (hidden behind your crank arms and covered in road muck) match your hubs and headset. Sure if you used the special CK tool to regrease the bearings every year or two you could get a more mileage out of the CK, but they discontinued that tool years ago, and absent maintenance they’re just as much of a disposable wear item as the Shimano BBs.

5 Likes

But if you’re a framebuilder treating bikes as Veblen goods them you should absolutely use CK stuff.

1 Like

FTFY

If anyone can make a better headset than wolftooth or cane creek I’ll consider buying something besides those two

1 Like

Will never forget the time CK sent me a DM with their number, asking me to phone in to answer questions about software I wrote (free software, they never paid for it lolol). It was a hard no and a perfect time to remind them how they rejected my shop’s application for a wholesale account.

20 Likes
6 Likes

Maximum synergies.

Interesting that PB published the (story|press release) first. They typically DGAF about power meters.

6 Likes

“$30,000” worth of [IBOB style] bike parts.

https://groups.google.com/g/internet-bob/c/NmgurWALvNE
bikpe

This is one of the more ridiculous collections I’ve seen. Why does he have all this shit? What percentage of bike parts have been just sitting locked up in someone’s attic for decades?

I understand collecting, as well the utility of preserving out of production and obsolete objects, but to see the reality is always startling. The condition of some of this stuff is incredible.

Didn’t mean this to come across angry-rant style more like :exploding_head:

The effort to have and keep stuff in that condition is incredible. Curating your own museum for ?

5 Likes

Just in case you have to make retro parts for some reason.

2 Likes

This guy had bikes in the 80s and 90s. Not a bad collection but I bet people here have similar. Ok maybe just me but I’m trying to get rid of some of it

1 Like

boomers, they can be ok

1 Like

snagged that OG Nitto Crystem

never actually seen one of these outside of an early 80s Nitto catalog or on Velobase

14 Likes

Looks nice but also has the slippiest looking interfaces possible at both ends.

1 Like

I have four Saint UNs that are at or above the decade, but not all of them have been on a bike the entire time

1 Like

excellent twitter comments

6 Likes

as these rich boomer freaks begin dying in earnest, how much of this hidden retrogrouch wealth is going to be released into the market and how much is going to be unceremoniously dumped by disinterested heirs

4 Likes

I think estate sale people generally don’t take bike stuff too seriously

1 Like