Bike blerg thread

FYI people will buy old BQs on eBay for $4-5 per issue.

3 Likes

:+1:

@igor how are the brakes?

6 Likes

Freaking strong with those little wheels.

What’s on there right now? Have you thought about detuning them with a V-brake road lever and standard road-pull disc brakes?

They’re BB7s paired to SRAM S500 levers. That’s actually my fav combination for non-brifter setup. Adrian’s a very skilled rider, so I have no doubts about her ability to modulate under different conditions. I wonder if they’re stronger than I’ve noticed in the past because of the small wheels, cause they’re fairly new, and because of all the sand/grit. Probably all three.

All this talk of shuttered bicycle magazines reminded me of this monstrosity that lives at my shop now.

We had a shitty Dutch baekfiets out front for like a millions years, finally sold it and then the owner brought this thing up from his house. It’s so frustrating.

BANNED

7 Likes

brifter!

@igor reveals his true colors

Has “brifteur” entered the hipster MAMIL lexicon yet?

1 Like

YEAH USE SHAKES INSTEAD LOL.

12 Likes

Are smaller where’s really the factor? Rotor is spinning faster for a given ground speed but I’m not sure how that affects initial bite and modulation.

I bet the shorter front-center + fat grippy tires is also a factor.

Maybe go down to 140mm rotors?

I forgot about shakes! How could i?!

I think it’s because they grab more rotor sooner since the wheels are spinning faster given the same speed. I need some Capreo rotors. Gimme like a 100mm rotor.

what no it’s about leverage dudes

2 Likes

ITS A BETTER TERM THAN BRIFTER SHARTMO. WE LIKE TO HAVE FUN HERE.

6 Likes

Absolutely.

The ratio of braking surface diameter to rolling diameter of the tire is a major factor when calculating the mechanical advantage of yer brakes.

1 Like

shaques

7 Likes

I think it’s the lever arm ratio between the brake disc and the tire. You have a set amount of braking torque that either gets applied to a big wheel or a small wheel, but the lever arm on a small wheel is 1/2 the size or whatever.

1 Like

you don’t have to be crazy to post here.

but it helps

2 Likes