Bike blog thread

The gearing on my most-used bike is 42 x 11-32 10s
I don’t mind the jumps and the high end is fine for me
The low end is a little steep for Colorado climbs so I wanna go 11-36
will probably want to go 11s or 12s at that point cause those jumps would be a bit big for road rides atmo
I am very happy not having to fuss with front derailleurs anymore

I honestly think that, in ten years, we are going to look back at 1x everything and realize it was goddamn mass hysteria. I also think that the real reason why it’s currently popular is because no major maker is seriously pushing subcompact cranks, which at this point should be coming out at the Sora and Tiagra level and being installed on 3/4 of the “gravel” bikes sold, if not 3/4 of the road bikes as well.

I have orders of magnitude more customers asking for better climbing gears than I have telling me that they’re spinning out in their 50-11.

Yep. SHRAMS inability to make a decent pusher has a lot to answer for.

Yep. SHRAMS inability to make a decent pusher has a lot to answer for.[/quote]

On the other hand, SRAM changed mountain bike design forever, and for the better, with 1x mountain.

I think 1x can be worthwhile when you’re going past 2.1 tyres, on the other hand one might argue that if you’re flying down a mountain or trail with rocks the size of your fist, a internally geared hub might make more sense.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]Any 1x users noticed the jumps in gear ratios and bothered with them?
Interesting seeing the jump percentages between some 2X and 1X drivetrains:
http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/07/the-trouble-with-1x/

Kinda want to try 1x on my next flatbar commuter project and feel it for myself.[/quote]

Disclaimer: I’m not a “1x user”.

I’ve ridden a bunch of 1x bikes though, and for actual mountain biking it’s great. Less to think about, works with the big tires, etc.

THAT BEING SAID:::::

2x. 2x 2x 2x 2x.

Unless you have a gnar mountain bike, or you’re uncomfortable with gears (which you are not), just 2x11. I absolutely find the jump behind gears to be a pain in the ass.

Except on mountain bikes.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]
I have orders of magnitude more customers asking for better climbing gears than I have telling me that they’re spinning out in their 50-11.[/quote]

It takes something like 45mph for someone to spin out 50x11? I run 53 or 52x11 on my road bikes and I don’t spin out until I’m over 50mph, to the point of being borderline irresponsible about it.

[quote=kmcdon][quote=Andrew_Squirrel]Any 1x users noticed the jumps in gear ratios and bothered with them?
Interesting seeing the jump percentages between some 2X and 1X drivetrains:
http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/07/the-trouble-with-1x/

Kinda want to try 1x on my next flatbar commuter project and feel it for myself.[/quote]

Disclaimer: I’m not a “1x user”.

I’ve ridden a bunch of 1x bikes though, and for actual mountain biking it’s great. Less to think about, works with the big tires, etc.

THAT BEING SAID:::::

2x. 2x 2x 2x 2x.

Unless you have a gnar mountain bike, or you’re uncomfortable with gears (which you are not), just 2x11. I absolutely find the jump behind gears to be a pain in the ass.

Except on mountain bikes.[/quote]

mtbs really only need like 2 gears

I rode a 1x on my #gravelbike for the last year. 44/42/48x11-42 at various times. It was fine. The jumps were definitely noticeable, particularly when riding in a group. Pedaling at a too fast or too slow cadence to match pace wasn’t awesome. Just came back to a double on my latest iteration of #gravelbike and I’m quite pleased to stick with it. For a flatbar around town bike, I think it’ll be exceedingly adequate. Not sure what the terrain is like in Seattle, but I’ll be shortly building a flatbar basket bike with a 1x and a tighter than 11-42 (11-32, in all likelihood) cassette.

wait, so we don’t like 1x now?

42/44 x 11-32 sounds like a great citybike

Sounds like its not an absolute like/dislike thing but more a nuanced appreciation for specific applications.
Road, nope
Gravel, maybe?
Commuter, sure
MTB, great

Sounds like its not an absolute like/dislike thing but more a nuanced appreciation for specific applications.
Road, nope
Gravel, maybe?
Commuter, sure
MTB, great[/quote]

Cycolo-Cross?

Road, nope
Gravel, maybe?
Commuter, sure
MTB, great[/quote]
I think if you are the kind of person that drives to the trail head a 1x might work for MTB. I am happy to have a no clutch, and good chain-ring wear on the 2x.
CX makes sense, (in theory) you need frick all gears there. I’d probably still want a chain guide.
For Gravel, I wont be changing. I have a 5 stage gravel race coming up and one stage is a TT. Casual gravel touring you might be alright. It is certainly the fashion.

https://theradavist.com/2018/07/local-bike-shops-need-to-also-build-community/#more-151503

Ok I thought about this for a minute, what if you work in a bike shop but don’t want to talk to people, hang out, ride with customers, listen to people’s stories, but do your job and go home at the end of the day?

Road, nope
Gravel, maybe?
Commuter, sure
MTB, great[/quote]
I think if you are the kind of person that drives to the trail head a 1x might work for MTB. I am happy to have a no clutch, and good chain-ring wear on the 2x.
CX makes sense, (in theory) you need frick all gears there. I’d probably still want a chain guide.
For Gravel, I wont be changing. I have a 5 stage gravel race coming up and one stage is a TT. Casual gravel touring you might be alright. It is certainly the fashion.[/quote]
The challenge of squeezing a pusher onto my CG with its short chainstays and tight clearances did make it a bit clearer to me why people are going 1x on gravel bikes, but I am glad that I can run a pusher and won’t be changing that any time soon on that bike.

In any situation where you’d want a full suspension mountain bike, 1x is the way to go and I doubt the industry is ever going back to front derailleurs there, especially since it’s freed up frame designers to give us such incredible full suspension bikes. I guess gearboxes are the eventual future, but that seems far away when derailleurs are so light and efficient and work so well.

I don’t understand not wanting a clutch on a mountain bike, though. I like those. Is it about the friction that it adds?

Just some extra complexity that I wouldn’t be happy messing with. Crapped myself on a night ride 2 nights back when someone said, “that doesnt look right” and pointed to my only clutch derailer, which had jammed forward, so that the chain was dragging on the ground. I think its a lemon tho, did it outta the box when I first got it. It hadn’t done in a couple of years. There was a problem with the early ones, I think a bolt was too long in them and they bound up. I just loosened the dust cover a bit and gave it some vigorous exercise and it came right. SRAM X9

1x vs 2x chat: Folks want options.
6" full squish, 1x
29er hardtail, 1x
26er basket bike, 1x
Cross bike commuter, 2x because drop bars and lack of matching levers.
Road bike, I never ride it so it doesn’t really matter.

Clutch vs no clutch. I’d have a clutch dangler on all my bikes if I could, who likes chain slap and dropping chains? All my 1x bikes are clutched, commuter would be but I’d rather put upgrade money towards the new bike fund since it totally rides fine as is and it’s stuck in rim brake dead ender land.

well there’s yer problem right there

[quote=EddBread]https://theradavist.com/2018/07/local-bike-shops-need-to-also-build-community/#more-151503

Ok I thought about this for a minute, what if you work in a bike shop but don’t want to talk to people, hang out, ride with customers, listen to people’s stories, but do your job and go home at the end of the day?[/quote]

Is anyone surprised that Prolly has no understanding of what real work is like, or that he would casually push the opinions of some petty small business dickhead? The dude literally makes all of his living shilling products to gullible sycophants over the internet. I immediately dismiss everything he says.