Bike build-off also known as What are you buidling? (or BBOAKAWAYB for short)

I can’t believe there’s not another active thread like this or maybe I missed it but whatever. What is your current project?

I’m starting on my first road bike. I just got these in the mail today:

Blue Rolls from artblur and most of my Campy Super Record group. Picked up SR to Mavic MA40 wheels, SR crankset; got a Cinelli 1r stem for free but it’s missing the compression bolt piece that puts pressure on the bars to go with the Cinelli Giro D’Italia bars I got. Also bought some NOS brake levers. It’s all going on a Batavus frame from 86-87 maybe. I emailed Batavus and they couldn’t even tell me.

It’s gonna be sweeeet.

Also, join me in anticipation. Tarcking #: CC170836019SE.

a mystery

Rain bike!!!

Just got the frame back yesterday with a new brake bridge welded in and a couple of eyelets half way down the fork for the front rack.

I was late to work this morning because I couldn’t stop staring at it and holding all the parts in the places they’re gonna go. It needs new paint but I think I might build it up and ride it around for a week first, because I won’t be able to paint it til monday and I don’t want to wait any longer.

haha. I thought about saying this too. But I got over-excited.

ps thats not a turbo looks like a rolls

haha. I thought about saying this too. But I got over-excited.[/quote]

That’s why I made this whole thread. The bike comes up in every conversation I have, I think.

A much unneeded, fun, gift of a frame.

oddball 650c fillet brazed steel tri frame

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140336389925&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

bought a gipiemme rear wheel kinda like this

picking up a front wheel that will have more spokes than my rear

other shit, TBD

i think i’m about 3 inches from building up a creamroller

re-building the x-check to 9speed.
bought 9speed deore + 9sd hg compatible chain
hopefully thats compatible with the 9speed sram shifter i’ve got
42/34 up front
cxp22 laced to some formula hubs

gota find cheapo front deraileur now.

gona be sweet

this guy

seatpost and saddle on tomorrow so I can feel like I’ve made some progress.

[quote=prawza]re-building the x-check to 9speed.
42/34 up front

gona be sweet[/quote]

Odd gearing. Making this a mountain rig?

the crosscheck is mainly my touring bike. otherwise i just lend it to my dad to commute on.

I don’t really need a big outer ring.
did some mild touring earlier this year on a single 42t ring up front, and found that perfect.
Figured I might as well put on a smaller ring and have my granny gear close to 27" for those epic hillz… (pretty flat around here, but hoping to do a tour of new zealand next summer)

still unsure about how small i should make my inner ring, need to check my bcd, i think 34 is smallest for 110bcd.

[quote=crushkilldestroy][quote=prawza]re-building the x-check to 9speed.
42/34 up front

gona be sweet[/quote]

tight gearing. Making a cross rig.[/quote]
ftfy

whateva floats ya boat

TA Specialites makes a 33 tooth ring for 110BCD. The smallest everyone else makes is 34t.

Me, I’m building stuff. Converting the Allez to 650B, maybe, something fixed, maybe an xtra, I’ve got an early 90s steel MTB frame that could be built up with a free radical conversion, want a new MTB, hell I don’t know.

putting the final touches on my late 80’s bianchi campione d’italia for when i start riding again. not the 'fastest" bike i’ve owned, but she’s a beast. 8 speed dt shifts, 105/600 mix and a sweet old rack i found on the side of the road. gonna be my daily rider.

I guess the scrambler I’m ordering will be my new build

I’m nearly done building my Cannondale t700. It’s rideable, but I’m still working on getting fenders and a Tubus Cargo and rear panniers. It feels kinda stupid to ride it with the junky flexible rack that’s on there now.

I wish I would have thought of this thread earlier in the summer, when I was also working on building new wheels for my Allez and un-converting my Miyata, with new wheels. I built seven wheels this summer.

[quote=everythingwolf][quote=crushkilldestroy][quote=prawza]re-building the x-check to 9speed.
42/34 up front

gona be sweet[/quote]

tight gearing. Making a cross rig.[/quote]
ftfy[/quote]

42/34 may be tighter than a standard compact double, but I’d hardly call it tight gearing. I was totally happy with my 46/38 and wouldn’t imagine going much smaller than that for most races.