Bike build-off also known as What are you buidling? (or BBOAKAWAYB for short)

10t difference is tight. Common CX setups are 36/46 or 38/48. 8t difference is very tight. Lots of overlap there.

What do you guys mean by “tight”,
im guessing its the range of gearing, and amount of overlap between similar gear inches between both rings?

That’s exactly what we mean. Not a ton of difference between the front two rings.

And the 8t difference between the two on the front was totally fine for me halbritt. I rarely did a front shift anyways, and I’m about 99% sure that I would have spun out a 34 on a regular basis.

I’m dragging stuff off topic again. My bad.

ah k thanks. might re-read kenkifer (sheldon of touring) and see what he has to say on the issue.

edit - http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/gears.htm linkey for people interested

my new build is a fixed univega. looks like poo right now and will for a while. previous guy had it as a single speed. so i went and bought a 17t cog and lock ring and going to put that on sometime this week at the LBS. got a flat bar for fwee and a seat post. needs a seat. and grips and then later gonna get new crankset, bullhorns and maybe new rims.

I just finished a bike a while ago and I’m running out of room. I need to get rid of 2-3 shitbikes before I can build something.
My priorities are: Touring bike>Cross bike>Track bike or really nice and classy conversion>MTB.

Although I rode my sister’s boyfriend’s 1959 Schwinn beach cruiser for a while today, kinda want one now…

rebuilding my tarck bike to replace the affinity that got crunched. it will be TAF and somewhat tasteless.

also tuning up my cruiser bike. searching all dumpsters and abandoned bikes for better handlebars.

i’m trying to think of things to do to my road bike, but all it needs are more miles.

I finished rebuilding a 54 schwinn beach cruiser not to long ago. I’ve always thought they’re fun to ride when your riding with someone who doesn’t go fast or even a moderate pace of 10 miles an hour. Not good for hills… especially the old ones, they’re fucking tanks

80s trek 560, Reynolds 501

fucker is huge.
I normally ride 62, this is 63.5, or 63 if I wiggle the tape.

QUIT TEASIN YOU BIG OL TEASE

I know all his secrets

building road bike w/10spd ultegra components.
the building d2 pista alu (as replacement for my concept) when that arrives.

Just getting started on my winter bike.
Got the first piece the other day, handlebars, levers and grips from Mr. Dumpster.
The second piece came yesterday in the form of a 26" Salsa Delgado rim from Mr. Danger.
I’m building the rim up around a red ano’ed IRO high flange fixed/free hub.
It’s going on this amazing frame:

Which will be coming from Mr. Kemmer shortly.
Have:
Rear wheel
Bars/stem
Frame
Cranks
Chain

Need:
spokes
threadless adapter
brakes
brake cables/housing
front wheel
badass tires
fenders
Pedals

[quote=crushkilldestroy]That’s exactly what we mean. Not a ton of difference between the front two rings.

And the 8t difference between the two on the front was totally fine for me halbritt. I rarely did a front shift anyways, and I’m about 99% sure that I would have spun out a 34 on a regular basis.

I’m dragging stuff off topic again. My bad.[/quote]

42-34 is a 23.5% difference. almost identical to 52-42 which is 23.8%

I will eventually be putting drop bars and bar end shifters on my Bruce Gordon. It also needs new cables and housing, among other things.

Currently building a Waterford 1200 series (Reynolds 753) road bike. Currently has Record headset, Wound Up fork…picking up DA 7800 shifters/fd/rd/brakes tonight. 'Essited. Will post pics.

basket/porteur bike: my old Kilo frame + VO porteur bars + Nexus 7-speed rear + jtek shifter

Japaramount: upgrading to 10-speed STI, OPs to DA/Ultegra

Ciocc: still need to build up rear wheel abloo bloo bloo

Frame came today, fuck yes! Except the boss sold the headset I was gonna use. I still need a 7-spd non-shitty freewheel, though. I’m thinking about getting the IRD Defiant 7-spd 13-24. Waiting on my cable housing and bits from one of the distributors who fucked up our order, so it’s not getting here till tomorrow, I think.

Heading off to college in a week so this build won’t be finished till some time this winter. On the plus side it should give me enough time to track down the parts for a particular campy group I’ve wanted to put together for far too long now.