bike shorts

yup. im going to start wearing some lycra so i can be a little more comfortable. i dont do long distance, just mainly maybe anywhere from 10-20 miles. so what are some good inexpensive shorts?

performance has some for like 20$ on sale usually.

not bad for the price.

Don’t skimp too much. Cheap shorts feel like diapers.

I hear that a lot, and I bought relatively cheap shorts, ($50ish) but seeing as I haven’t worn a diaper since I was a baby, how can I recognize this feeling?

Try before you buy.

Pearl Izumi are sweet if you ask me.

yeah. def try before you buy if you can. I can’t stand PI stuff, personally. the sizing runs extremely small and the chamois sits weird and my junk is on display no matter what i do with it.

the performance ultra stuff is a pretty good bargain but won’t stand up to heavy use.

the best bibs i have are hincapie. giordana, castelli, and some of the garneau stuff i have are also good. Champion systems? total shit. the chamois sucks, the material is thin and lacks elasticity. might be cheap for a small run team order, but it can’t compare to anything else on the market that i have tried.

I have some Addias shorts, don’t know the model. They were $45, I like em.

PI is way overrated. I’ve tried a few PI garments over the years because everyone raves about them and found them crappy and shoddily constructed.

I have some Descente bibs and jerseys and Bellweather knickers I like lot.

thanks guys. let me clarify that ill spend the money for decent shorts-ive read some rants about some cheap shorts feeling like diapers, but im not going to shell out 150 bucks for shorts that im going to wear riding around town and not even on a daily basis. as long as theyre not over padded, dont chafe, and are reasonably durable.

Ya I’m rocking the ~$50 Addias shorts too.

I like the cheaper, thinner stuff made for indoor cycling a lot. If you’re going to wear shorts under other clothes I think they make more sense.

[quote=“newguy”]yeah. def try before you buy if you can. I can’t stand PI stuff, personally. the sizing runs extremely small and the chamois sits weird and my junk is on display no matter what i do with it.

the performance ultra stuff is a pretty good bargain but won’t stand up to heavy use.

the best bibs i have are hincapie. giordana, castelli, and some of the garneau stuff i have are also good. Champion systems? total shit. the chamois sucks, the material is thin and lacks elasticity. might be cheap for a small run team order, but it can’t compare to anything else on the market that i have tried.[/quote]
I didn’t feel that my PI shorts were worth the money either. My Performance Ultra bibs on the other hand… comfortable as hell, the chamois is comfortable and makes a difference and I bought them on sale for like $35. I do understand your durability angle though.

good point. i actually plan on just wearing the shorts as is (i am not ashamed) but im sure there will be times that i do wear them under clothes.

I got a pair of Mt. Borah shorts for 50 before this past weekends 24 hour race. Best investment ever. No complaints about the shorts either.

it’s sad, but my legs are a bit too skinny to fit into most bike shorts unless i flex up real hard. but that’s not gonna work.

sigh.

These repeatedly win “best bike Bibs under $100” polls on other forums…
And they are only $50!!! $40 for shorts if you roll that way…

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?P ... NG,Cycling

Ya I’m rocking the ~$50 Addias shorts too.[/quote]

+1 I’ve got some Adidas Trail baggy shorts, and I’m a pretty big fan. I just wasn’t ready for the lycra look, but these still give you the chamois comfort and cooling that’s a huge step up from the old cut-off Dickies. They’ve been great on a few ~30 mi. rides I’ve done lately.

[quote=“Quinn8it”]These repeatedly win “best bike Bibs under $100” polls on other forums…
And they are only $50!!! $40 for shorts if you roll that way…

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?P ... NG,Cycling[/quote]

nice. those are voler and that’s a steal for those bibs. thanks for the link.

are these the ones? $45 and they look decent. i might go with them.

[quote=“jim”]it’s sad, but my legs are a bit too skinny to fit into most bike shorts unless i flex up real hard. but that’s not gonna work.

sigh.[/quote]

Just wear an old school time trial thong.

Question:

Is it physically possible that leg muscles can swell after only short bike ride? I wore these same shorts and it felt like they got smaller by the time got home:

???