buying a new wheelset

this might be a stupid question, but i honestly don’t know. what is it that makes h plus sons more desirable (functionally) than other deep rims?

this almost definitely is a stupid question, but what is a clincher wheel? you are right though, these look to be high quality.

actually, i came close to buying these first. other than not looking as cool, what am i losing if i got these over the volos or some other deep rim to formulas?[/quote]

A clincher is the kind you’re probably used to.
Tire with a tube inside it.
As opposed to tubular where that is all one unit.

And Hplussons are desirable because of the baller factor.

They look silly to me.

Open Fucking Pro!

[quote=“FarAwayBoy”]

And Hplussons are desirable because of the baller factor.[/quote]

cxp22s aren’t deep. i have those

[quote=“FarAwayBoy”]A clincher is the kind you’re probably used to.
Tire with a tube inside it.
As opposed to tubular where that is all one unit.[/quote]

ooh, i guess i’d had the two confused all along.

These.

Or Open Pros.

These.

Or Open Pros.[/quote]

what’s the main difference?

OP to formula is definitely decent, though I don’t know anyone that offers a wheelset cheaply. The components to build 'em yourself are almost always more expensive than buying a pre-built set like the CXP-22s on Formula.

These.

Or Open Pros.[/quote]

what’s the main difference?[/quote]

Both are good rims, the open pro is a slightly higher end rim and has more of a box profile as opposed to the more aero cxp22.

cxp22

open pro

Buy your open proXformulas from this guy.
He builds good wheels and is a nice guy and a one man operation.
I called him once and after like seven rings he brethlessly answered the phone after having run across his shop from where he was building a wheel.

Planet X 101’s 32h to campy record.

Open Pros are OK, but you can find much better low-profile rims. The CXP 22 is the poor man’s version of the CXP 33, which is Mavic’s best rim.

mavic/velocity/dtswiss laced to something. handbuilt.

and one other thing

mavic: CXP14 reigns supreme. got a set of these rims NOS for 25 bucks off a dude at velospace. look around.

p.s. pic arent mine

miche primato to mavic cxp33. the seam in my veeps is becoming more and more noticeable and it’s driving me insane. mavics are welded and are quality rims.

Basically, Formula hubs are inexpensive and very decent, Mavic rims are decent (as are Velocity), and you want a handbuilt wheelset with decent spokes. I’d prefer double-butted spokes, which the OP on Formula that Rusty linked, didn’t have. I still think the CXP22 on Formula is the best value. In any case, <$300 is going to get you a decent wheelset that will last many years which is about all you’re ever going to need on the street. If you’re racing or feeling particularly fashionable, >$300 will get you something lighter or something with a higher bling factor.

I’d like to know about these much better low-profile rims? AFAIK, the OP is the most decent box-section on the market.

Someone else on here was shit talking OP’s, and never gave a response to that question. I love my OP’s, but I’d just buy CXP22’s to Formulas if I were buying new wheels.

Seriously unless you’re racing or just want the bling, this is really the best thing going.
I have a set of these that I’ve rode the shit out of for years and the difference between these and “nicer” wheelsets that I’ve owned (dura ace to deep v) is negligible at best

[quote=“halbritt”]
AFAIK, the OP is the most decent box-section on the market.[/quote]

Not really. They are notorious for developing cracks around the eyelets and other problems.