Canti Chatters, Screeching.

Yeah, you’re fucked.

Regular Vs + a travel agent?

Try backing out one of the pad bolts a hair. Sometimes it will change the screeching to a frequency you can’t hear. It’s worked before. It’s failed before.

I don’t want to go this route, but might have to.

Hrm, will reup the loctite and try that.

90mm mini-vs clear hell of fenders. You sure that wouldn’t work? 650b conversion?

rSogn = 42mm hetres and fenders over that.

ditching salmon and/or using the v-brake padholders they came with will help immensely

shouldn’t be able to do that, might try using washers on both sides of the fork crown to square things up

Another vote for ditching the salmon. I got some cheapass tektro black pads that work pretty OK, as long as I don’t actually need to stop. Next step, V-brak pad holders.

[quote=match avatar]ditching salmon and/or using the v-brake padholders they came with will help immensely

shouldn’t be able to do that, might try using washers on both sides of the fork crown to square things up[/quote]

I recall it being pretty square when I fitted it, but I’ll slacken it all off and see.

I’d improved braking performance going from MTB to CX carts with cantis in the past, I’ll downgrade after the rack rebolt and try that too.

Been living with it for too long, time to banish the noise.

ditching salmon and/or using the v-brake padholders they came with will help immensely

shouldn’t be able to do that, might try using washers on both sides of the fork crown to square things up[/quote]

Wasn’t there a version of this rack that had a brazed on cable hanger? Do that?

Sounds like your rack needs zertz inserts.

Fill rack with expanding foam through vent holes?

I wish, that was fred’s prototype.

I always wanted to try that with a powerdome cassette to see how much it would quite it down. Never got around to it though

Ted shred.

Turns out I had stock TRP refills in the CX carts, not salmons.

Anyway, long mtb style shimano carts with non salmons = squeal when wailing on the brakes, so it’s kicking in later. rack is bolted up square, with a washer at the back, everything tight. See how that goes for a while.

Wheel true and dishing spot on?

put new salmons on 2 bikes this week, shit stops nice, I still think cantis are the best looking brakes and am willing to deal with the bullshit some of the time.

that’s all.

I love cheap Altus brakes with Salmon pads. Great modulation and good stopping power, even in the rain. Doubtful I’d build a new bike around such a setup, but such setups work great on any old mountain or cyclocross bike.

I use salmon pads and don’t squeal unless they aren’t toed in and aligned correctly. My front squeals right now but I haven’t bother fixing it yet.

I was trying to find this video that @hobocross on instagram posted. It was of his wife/gf/partner riding towards the camera with canti brakes squealing and the video was titled “The song of my people”

I’m not sure which brakes LB has on her diamondback citybike, but they have these awesome rotating washers that are there for adjusting the toe. It makes it leagues easier to get it right the first time, every time. I might actually see if I can find some at the co-op to build some frankencantis on my univega. I’ll be keeping the dia-compe arms because they’re sw8, but if I can transplant that washer it’d be pretty nice.