CAT6 Forever

Oh I guess that’s smart actually. I had never even considered it might be changed due to local climate.

Ooof, 90. Is it humid there? I feel at that altitude it can’t ever get too humid, right?

not humid at all
96 right now
it’s not terrible
cooler would be nice

im gonna get some mf burritos for free though

It’s a dry heat (as they say). As I type this it’s 96f and 12% humidity.

:bear:

got Cat6’d on the way in this morning.
dude on a sw8 brakeless fixie passed me on the bike path, then almost DNF’d straight into the side of a car that pulled out of a driveway.
busted out an emergency whip skid around the car and was on his way

[quote=DaFROG]got Cat6’d on the way in this morning.
dude on a sw8 brakeless fixie passed me on the bike path, then almost DNF’d straight into the side of a car that pulled out of a driveway.
busted out an emergency whip skid around the car and was on his way[/quote]
honestly that sounds pretty fuckin sw8. That dude is probably bragging on an obscure fixie forum about how he dropped some fred and pulled a badass whip skid on his way home today.

Anyways:
It’s summer, the days are long and the bike commuters are out in full force. Which is generally awesome and I’m not resentful of other people riding bikes. But there are a few dudes that I’m starting to recognize on my morning commute that just do not seem to understand that the lights on Folsom St are set at 13mph.

Every damn day, there is at least one dude (and it’s always a dude) on a road bike blasting past everyone, usually passing on the right, and pedaling his ass off just to get stuck at the next red light. One block later.

It’s my new favorite thing to go a steady 13 mph, never slow down and blow by them as the light turns green while they are looking down at their pedals trying to clip back in. Then they look up and see they got passed by some nerd on a beat old mountain bike with a basket and yellow pedals and pedal their asses off to get back in front of me. And we repeat. There’s a traffic light every block from 24th to 14th (where I turn off) and I have had mornings where some some particularly stubborn testosterone-fueled dork will do this 10 blocks in a row.

This morning I rode most of the way in with my coworker, who drops her kids off at school near my house and then rides her Spicy Curry in pretty much along the same route that I take to work. We were cracking up at a couple of the dudes this morning while coasting and chatting. They were very determined to get past a nerd on an old mountain bike and a mom on a cargo bike with a ladybug helmet cover. Add in the comedy factor of them having to try visibly hard to pass 12 feet of bike while approaching a red light and I was wishing we had 10 more blocks of this.

I feel like I’ve heard this timed-light-folsom story from others on here.

frog, that does actually sound pretty sw8. I enjoy fixie whipskids a lot.

i wasn’t complaining, his tactics were perfect and his victory well deserved
would have lol’d if he did DNF straight into the car (and then probably checked to see he was OK ) so it would have been a win (although not a Cat6 flawless victory) for me either way.

PS i did check the only obscure PI fixie forum i’m somehow still a member of and there was no mention there, although like Tarck it’s all dads and basket bikes nowadays

It was probably me. I just got to do it with someone else on a nerdy bike and get confirmation that it’s not just me, it’s a thing that happens for real.

Also Jesus I just looked at some of the Strava segments down Folsom and they are absurdly fast. Like, definitely would have to run every light at full speed, including 14th and 16th, which are busy as shit.

I could see how it would be possible maybe in the middle of the night when you can spot cars a little further out cos headlights, but fuck that shit.

EDIT: looks like the worst one that I remember from a while back has been taken down. The one that went from Bernal Hill, across Cesar Chavez and out to Division.

Is Folsom the street where that one Fred hit an old person, killing him, and then kinda bragged about it on the internet?

I think that was Castro, right at Market St.

[quote=deadforkinglast][quote=DaFROG]got Cat6’d on the way in this morning.
busted out an emergency whip skid around the car and was on his way[/quote]
honestly that sounds pretty fuckin sw8. That dude is probably bragging on an obscure fixie forum about how he dropped some fred and pulled a badass whip skid on his way home today.[/quote]

That forum is known as BUM BUM BAHHHHH Tarckbike circa 2008. In this very thread on the first page. We are stuck in a time warp and in fact are all just about to start drinking too much pbr and color matching our rims to our grips again.

Also that Folsom story is every day of my fucking life. I live on Folsom and the commute downtown is torture.

I also wonder how many times we’ve ridden by each other.

They wait until it has the potential to be in the 90s before they launch BTWD?? Wisconsin waits until early June, and we hope for low 70s, but often get low 60s, but IMHO that’s the best time to start riding a bike.

Where’s the national campaign that recommends biking to work between 50 and 70 degrees? Start cool (refreshing), warm up, no sweat, no bugs. Everyone here believes our commuting season is only 3 months long, but one could happily commute twice as long if they understood this.

Yesterday was in the 90s with 70% humidity and the bike room was FULL. Today was mid-70s with 40% humidity and the bike room was half empty, probably because everyone who biked on the first day recognized how bad it sucked and didn’t want to do it again.

[quote=DaFROG]
PS i did check the only obscure PI fixie forum i’m somehow still a member of and there was no mention there, although like Tarck it’s all dads and basket bikes nowadays[/quote]

You need to put up a missed connection, some fixielord is probably checking back every day to see if he got noticed. I know I would.

[quote=heavymetal][quote=DaFROG]
PS i did check the only obscure PI fixie forum i’m somehow still a member of and there was no mention there, although like Tarck it’s all dads and basket bikes nowadays[/quote]

You need to put up a missed connection, some fixielord is probably checking back every day to see if he got noticed. I know I would.[/quote]

Done

Had a guy on his Kona Paddy Wagon catch up to me as I was running late for work and say

“You’ll probably go faster on skinnier tyres”
Me: “I’m late for work!”
“You do a lot of touring?”
Me: “All the time, I’m touring right now”

Lately I’ve been getting up late and rushing to get to work, it sucks!

[quote=littletinyfish]They wait until it has the potential to be in the 90s before they launch BTWD?? Wisconsin waits until early June, and we hope for low 70s, but often get low 60s, but IMHO that’s the best time to start riding a bike.

Where’s the national campaign that recommends biking to work between 50 and 70 degrees? Start cool (refreshing), warm up, no sweat, no bugs. Everyone here believes our commuting season is only 3 months long, but one could happily commute twice as long if they understood this.

Yesterday was in the 90s with 70% humidity and the bike room was FULL. Today was mid-70s with 40% humidity and the bike room was half empty, probably because everyone who biked on the first day recognized how bad it sucked and didn’t want to do it again.[/quote]

This always boggled my mind. It’s like how, in the midwest, cycling season ended after August, instead of ramping up to take full advantage of the crisp autumn air and beautiful changing scenery. My guess is that most of these people literally only do organized group rides, and when those are no longer scheduled, their interest dries up.

TBH it’s not that much different in Seattle.