Chainline with Phil Wood and Sugino 75s?

I know this is a topic that has seemingly been discussed ad nauseam but I can seem to find clarity here.

What is my chain line going to be like with A Phil low flange track hub to a set of 75s? Im looking for a perfect chain line…and if I remember correctly this isnt it.

Am I going to run into any issues? Is there a way to achieve a better line with this setup? Im attracted to Phils because of there reputation, sealed cartridges, and looks but would I be better off with something else? Id rather stay away from loose ball.

I was pretty set on this combo. Im getting a White Industries BB that is compatible with the 75s but Id really like to achieve a prefect chainline given that Im kinda going all out.

i’d assume that the 75’s are designed for a 42mm chainline.
what chainline are the phils designed for?

i have high flange phils & sugino 75’s… no problems here

???
if you have the right bottom bracket your chainline should be perfect
i have that exact drivetrain on a bike and the chainline is perfect

you need a 109mmm bb

[quote="(|)"]i’d assume that the 75’s are designed for a 42mm chainline.
what chainline are the phils designed for?[/quote]

75’s on 109 bb = 42mm
phil wood track low flange = 42 mm

if your getting the white industries bb
that one is 108mm so your chainline will be off by .5 mm witch is not a big deal

Party. Thanks for the help. What would the noticible difference be between chain lines that are off by .5mm be?

might be a little noisier, maybe just a litle

i have sugino 75 cranks, chainring and bb with a phil wood hub and cog with a sram pc-1 chain and its the quietest bike in the world. I love that drivetrain.

[quote=“carail”]might be a little noisier, maybe just a litle

i have sugino 75 cranks, chainring and bb with a phil wood hub and cog with a sram pc-1 chain and its the quietest bike in the world. I love that drivetrain.[/quote]

Funny, I have the same exact drive-train setup and it’s not all that quiet.

[quote=“zombie”][quote=“carail”]might be a little noisier, maybe just a litle

i have sugino 75 cranks, chainring and bb with a phil wood hub and cog with a sram pc-1 chain and its the quietest bike in the world. I love that drivetrain.[/quote]

Funny, I have the same exact drive-train setup and it’s not all that quiet.[/quote]

that weird
was it all new to start with?

[quote=“zombie”][quote=“carail”]might be a little noisier, maybe just a litle

Funny, I have the same exact drive-train setup and it’s not all that quiet.[/quote]

maybe you have your chain too tight.
that’ll make it noisy. so will a dry chain and a dirty drivetrain.

[quote=“carail”][quote=“zombie”][quote=“carail”]might be a little noisier, maybe just a litle

that weird
was it all new to start with?[/quote]

Old cog.

[quote="(|)"][quote=“zombie”][quote=“carail”]might be a little noisier, maybe just a litle

maybe you have your chain too tight.
[/quote]

Nuh-uh, I’m the official chain-tension Nazi.

[quote=“zombie”]
Old cog.[/quote]

AH HAA

while we’re on the subject of 75s and chainline, i’m going to be running mine with a 110mm miche primato bb. two questions:

1.) how does this setup sound?
2.) have the problems with the miche bb been fixed?

as long as they still use the same cups no.

do they still use the same cups?

(how bad/frequent is/was the problem?)

what problem

the problem of the cups loosening.
you could probably solve it with some loctite in your threads but you know i don’t really like the idea of putting loctite in there.

also i think the spindle in mine had a bit of runout.
as far as the bearings…they stayed pretty smooth the whole time i used the one i had.

Please people…having a chainline off by 0.5 mm is not going to effect how your drivetrain sounds. I doubt any of you can even measure your chainline with that sort of precision. Go get a digital calipers and look at how big 0.5 mm is…its not worth even posting about. The sound of your DT has more to do with the amount of lube on the chain and how well you chain and ring/cog mesh.