Cheap Tires

My wife was originally attracted to my Ultra 2000’s.

Which is funny, because those tires are kind of shitty.

25c Conti GP400s for $18 http://www.bonktown.com/?CMP_ID=ODAL_FFP9001&mv_pc=r1005

Except there’s only one and it’s yellow, lol.

there were a ton of both when i posted that. :frowning:

Whats a good tire I could find at performance. Yeah I shop there AYHSMB

700 x 19 or 700 x 18 looks GREAT on narrow single walled rims

I’ll take 10 of each.

Don’t shop at Performance when you can just ride over the BikeTiresDirect. If you sign up you get “points” on every purchase that amounts to like 10% off and no shipping when you pick them up at the store.

They had some good sales on Vittoria and Continental during the ToC… now it looks like just Vittoria.

PBK has much, much better prices. VeloFlex Pave or Pro 3 Race for $31 is pretty good very nice tires. Vittoria Randonneur or Rubino Pros for around $20.

i almost bought a forte yesterday but got an ultrasport instead.

it feels mushy.

oh well… its gonna be skid through in 3 months anyway.

edit - i do enjoy the seemingly smoother ride it has compared to the zaffiro i had before. (both 25c)

hutchingsons. and gaterskins
fuck all heavy shitty tires

[quote=guggles]hutchinsons. and gatorskins
fuck all heavy shitty tires[/quote]
ftfy, l000000000ssss3333rrrrr

i recently bought a maxis refuse.
i’ve damn near worn through the thing in 2 weeks.

working at a shop is awesome, cant remember the last time i bought a tire…

dude, please don’t shop there, esp. in these times. Stop being a twat and support an LBS

dude, please don’t shop there, esp. in these times. Stop being a twat and support an LBS[/quote]

Why should an LBS get special consideration? As best as I can tell, most LBS’s aren’t really in the business of selling bike parts. From my perspective, they’d rather sell bikes to people that know very little and need some help with the selection process. Assuming a ~20% margin on a $1k bike, that’s $200 worth of gross profit. Most shops in this area keep their parts prices low (ish) to be reasonably competitive with online stores and Performance. I’m pretty sure that yields a smaller margin for parts. They’d have to sell a lot of goddamn tires to make the same amount of gross profit. I’m guessing that they sell these parts as a service to their complete customers and also to have stock in parts for mechanics. So really, I doubt they’d care if you went to Performance to buy a tire.

My policy is this: If I need service, which is rare, I go to an LBS. I’ve tried a couple and there are few that I trust. I do this when I don’t have the tools for something such as chasing and facing. If an LBS has an interesting inventory, I’ll swing by occasionally, check it out, maybe buy some stuff and chat up the employees. The shops I frequent know I’m not buying a complete and that I do most of my own mechanical work, so they don’t waste their time with me when the shop is busy. Generally, I get treated pretty well when I need something.

For more mundane type purchases, I’ll go to Performance. I rush in, rush out, and generally feel pretty meh about the process.

I only really go to a single shop locally, and that’s because they have a huge selection of used shit. Being from the Midwest/Ozarks, I’m a natural scavenger. My skinny fingers are built for it.

When it came time to buy a new bike, I also went to the same shop. They wouldn’t have earned that big $$$ sale had they not been good to me on the cheap stuff. I have no idea where I’m going with this, but yeah. Whatever.

My lbs gave me lots of shit for my Salsa recall stem coming from Niagara Cycle Works. And they give me shop cost so there’s no profit at all. Just sayin’ that just cuz they’re not making money doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate your business.

dude, please don’t shop there, esp. in these times. Stop being a twat and support an LBS[/quote]

Why should an LBS get special consideration? As best as I can tell, most LBS’s aren’t really in the business of selling bike parts. From my perspective, they’d rather sell bikes to people that know very little and need some help with the selection process. Assuming a ~20% margin on a $1k bike, that’s $200 worth of gross profit. Most shops in this area keep their parts prices low (ish) to be reasonably competitive with online stores and Performance. I’m pretty sure that yields a smaller margin for parts. They’d have to sell a lot of goddamn tires to make the same amount of gross profit. I’m guessing that they sell these parts as a service to their complete customers and also to have stock in parts for mechanics. So really, I doubt they’d care if you went to Performance to buy a tire.

My policy is this: If I need service, which is rare, I go to an LBS. I’ve tried a couple and there are few that I trust. I do this when I don’t have the tools for something such as chasing and facing. If an LBS has an interesting inventory, I’ll swing by occasionally, check it out, maybe buy some stuff and chat up the employees. The shops I frequent know I’m not buying a complete and that I do most of my own mechanical work, so they don’t waste their time with me when the shop is busy. Generally, I get treated pretty well when I need something.

For more mundane type purchases, I’ll go to Performance. I rush in, rush out, and generally feel pretty meh about the process.[/quote]

so all the more reason to go to an lbs

Sure. 'cept Performance carries gatorskins and other places don’t.