Chub hubs

Chub x Formation Face

bad idea or best idea?

Is this really worthy of a thread?

They don’t make them anymore, so unless you have one already or have a line on a used one, you’re out of luck.

Also, the pseudoscience behind their supposedly superior stiffness has been debunked, so the only real advantage is that they look cool.

[quote=Cadence]They don’t make them anymore, so unless you have one already or have a line on a used one, you’re out of luck.

Also, the pseudoscience behind their supposedly superior stiffness has been debunked, so the only real advantage is that they look cool.[/quote]

http://get.perigeum.com/Chub-Fixed-Rear-120mm-32-hole-Blackout;jsessionid=0a0105501f43f2308f8ad806486e808381692409a93b.e3eSc34OaxmTe34Pa38Ta38Tc3r0

They’re still for sale. Since 2008 actually, I think.

Any other high flange hubs that won’t look dumb laced to H+S rims?

no, low flange would be awesome though.

suzue, formula, iro, miche, gran compe, phil, mack, kazane, alien, dura ace, suntour…?

no, low flange would be awesome though.[/quote]

this. fukka chub hub

I actually don’t agree with the debunked thing. I know a man with many a wheel/rim pattens under his name that thinks the Chub Hub is a really good idea.
If there is one thing i learned from being “behind the scenes” is that every great engineer will have their own logic and they all disagree with each other in every possible way.
The only reason why i wouldn’t go for the chub to a hplus is because of the limitation of the drilling angle/offset of the rim. This will cause the spokes to not sit straight coming out of the spoke bed of the rim esp when being laced to a hub with such a high flange.

and coz ugly.

blicks whatever you get, try to get lower spoke count 24 or 28 cuz i’m overstocked on those.
Also look into American classic rear. I don’t offer 20h for the front, maybe you can buy their 24h road hub for front. Think it will look ballah.

I’ve heard of spoke lacing issues with 32 hole 42mm/43mm rim/chub combos.

that said, want my chub to black veep wheel?

(note: I only want a bit more than the hub is listed there and I’m not taking my DA or EAI Superstar cogs off)

I have this combo.

Works fine.

Built it with a bit lower than average tension because the spokes are so damn short anyway.

I was offered a (once used) double fixed high flange Miche hub recently for $55 but I feel like it’s a bad deal… if it were a complete hubset I’d be more into it. I really want a matching wheelset!Dura Ace isn’t a possibility cos Cleveland weather. I think Formula hubs are good but have poor quality axles and hardware.

yeah, you can get miche sets for ~70. zelah was selling a never-laced set, maybe holler at him.

buy a furmola and be done with it

fwiw i ride a dura-ace rear track hub through all kinds of chicago weather and i’ve never had any issues. i’ve serviced it once in the year and a half i’ve had it and even then it didn’t really need it.

Chub Hubs are fugly.

i’v heard bad things about the Miche hubs. Something about bad alloy and nothing being able to take high spoke tension. Not sure if this is true.