classy toasty bike build thread

More to the point, how much reach do you need? If you can fit summa dem mid-reach (47mm) shimano dual pivots, those are SO RAD and come in a nice silver, all forged and shit.

I just checked to see if they are still making them and now it looks like there are Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra-level mid-reach calipers. HMFY.

[quote=Rusty Piton][quote=Toast]

Crankset… I’ll probably go with a decent-looking set of Suginos or Stronglights or some sort of classic but cheapish setup, from a co-op/used store around town. Like these, maybe? Or maybe something not obscure BCD (although same seller also has a couple chainring options).

[/quote]
These cranks are awesome but if you’re putting em on this sweet ass fixie bike and your power legs are anything like mine, you might end up with something along these lines:

[/quote]
ohshi, completely forgot about this… duuuuuude.

xpost from dumb q’s:

So… there’s a little blip/bump on the inside of the steerer tube, causes some problems when inserting a stem with a long-ish quill. Any reason not to just dremel/file it down?

Or, is this sort of bump indicative of any more serious damage (i.e., front-on collision)? I can’t see anything wrong on the outside of the HT, or on the HT/DT juncture.

Hey I can build a dapper bike any day, I just don’t need another commutey bike. I want a mountain bike!

You can tell I kid by the text speak :wink:

o yeah

only sol is 4 real with the txt speek

:smiley:

Hey Toasty, I’ve got an IRO branded formula 32h fix/fix in high flange silver I might be willing to part with if you had a decent 90mm 26.0 quill stem you wanted to trade. If you’re nice I might just ask for shipping, I bought it as backup and then kinda gave up on fixie goodness.

f this

Retro style should never interfere with safety. Silver Tektro dual pivots are classy and perform well. Choosing inferior parts for style is as dumb as riding brakeless.[/quote]

F you, not inferior, just different modulation.

I prefer it a lot of the time, I have Modolo Professionals on my Alan and CLB Spaceline on my carpet fibre.

If you wanna go centerpulls I’d check these out: http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-DURA-ACE-CENTERPULL-CENTER-PULL-PAIR-NOS-BRAKES-/120701303253?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1a5bb9d5

f this

Retro style should never interfere with safety. Silver Tektro dual pivots are classy and perform well. Choosing inferior parts for style is as dumb as riding brakeless.[/quote]

I prefer it a lot of the time, I have Modolo Professionals on my Alan and CLB Spaceline on my carpet fibre.[/quote]

I’ve tried several single pivots. Hated all of them. Now I use Campy brakes and they’re perfect. More than that they’re also not a complete PITA to setup. Single pivots are as messed up engineering wise and track cogs and hubs.

f this

I prefer it a lot of the time, I have Modolo Professionals on my Alan and CLB Spaceline on my carpet fibre.[/quote]
Wouldn’t having a higher mechanical advantage = more travel = better modulation?

f this

I’ve tried several single pivots. Hated all of them. Now I use Campy brakes and they’re perfect. More than that they’re also not a complete PITA to setup. Single pivots are as messed up engineering wise and track cogs and hubs.[/quote]

but campy still makes “differential” brakesets with single pivot in the back. shouldn’t you be boycotting them for propagating inferior parts?

*snore…

People on the Peloton level sometimes use rear single pivots because they’re lighter and the fact that the rear brake is mostly useful for drag and not stopping. Riding in traffic I’ll take my dual pivot front brake please.

I was shocked at how well my buddy’s old single pivot Cyclone brakes work.

this thread sucks.

anyway, a rounded file took care of my steerer tube issues. internet says tb14s should be in stock on 7/11 (heh). gonna go with the gunmetal IROs. hammered VO fenders. prob buying DA centerpulls, either from miguel or ebay. technomic, noodles, mafac levers.

what bartape?

silver or hard ano tb14s? (or black is in stock now, could save me a couple days of waiting…)

lulz at this peloton level and single pivot safety can’t stop horseshit. dumbest shit i’ve heard all week, or maybe month.

toast, get some hydraulic dick breaks. single pivots are obvs no better than ted shreding. before dual pivots bikes didnt decelerate.

btw, nice biek toasty. am jealous.

The only braking setup I’ve ever had that has underperformed has been my legs. I mean, sure I can stop with them but they’re slow and take a lot of effort… and don’t even get me started about the modulation.

I’ve used single pivots, dual pivots, centerpulls, cantis, mech. discs and hydraulic discs and all of them have performed well in the situations they were intended for given proper set up and decent pads.

I think this frame needs centerpulls, DA would be good or MAFAC racers. MAFACs with Braze ons would be :bear:

For batrape i’d say try sliding sections of tube on (I did it with a 700x35-38 tube) and putting cloth over top. Get the classic look with more comfort.

[quote=Toast]this thread sucks.

anyway, a rounded file took care of my steerer tube issues. internet says tb14s should be in stock on 7/11 (heh). gonna go with the gunmetal IROs. hammered VO fenders. prob buying DA centerpulls, either from miguel or ebay. technomic, noodles, mafac levers.

what bartape?

silver or hard ano tb14s? (or black is in stock now, could save me a couple days of waiting…)[/quote]

I’d wait for the silver rims. The polish looks nice.

For batrape, whatever you find comfortable.

The Campy ‘differential’ brakes with the rear single pivot are mostly the same weight as the dual pivot version, at the Record / Super Record level they’re ~20g lighter. The Campy brakes aren’t particularly light, there’s plenty of much lighter dual pivots.

They use them on the rear explicitly for the modulation, because having them be grabby and lock up the wheel is totally useless.

You’re free to hate on them if you have salad fingers like the Lovely Bicycle lady.

I beat roadies in a peloton on my njs peloton