Clipless noobs

Thinking back… pretty sure it took more effort to unclip when I first started. Un-natural foot/leg movement atmo.

Thanks to cyclocross, I constantly unclip one foot whenever I feel nervous.

Even just making a tight u-turn, i unclip one foot just in case. Throwing my foot down has saved me from hitting the pavement in two field crashes so far… but it also ground down several months of use off my cleat (look cleats,… plastic.) and I had to replace one.

I learned to ride clipless on a mountain bike, which led to plenty of crashes, but two always stick in my memory.

First one, climbing a skinny little path snaking along the side of a huge hill. Get stopped about halfway up the climb, clip out no problem. Try to start pedaling again, clip in, realize I’m in way too low of a gear to actually move the bike forward, tip over, roll down the side of the hill. Carry bike and self back up the hill, try again, same thing happens. Tried one more time, fell again. Walked the bike up the rest of the hill.

Second, climbing up a technical climb, get stuck on a rock, tip over. What made this so special was that after I tipped over, I was stuck on the ground in a position that wouldn’t let me twist my ankles to unclip, and I literally couldn’t move for 5 minutes until my riding buddies realized I had gone missing behind them and they helped me get unstuck.

So far I haven’t had any issues unclipping on the road, but I’m sure when it does happen it will be in the most embarrassing situation possible.

I’ve had way more issues with clip and strap pedals than clipless. Of course, I have the obligatory story of the 0mph fallover at a busy intersection on campus during a class change on the 3rd day of class. I have fallen over a few times on clipless pedals, but it was a long time ago and none of them were very spectacular I think.

Even after racing cross, I am still in the habit of staying clipped in until the last second. Near the end of the season I was getting better about unclipping for off-camber turns and such though. On the road I don’t see any reason to unclip. Unlike my mtb shoes and pedals, my road stuff is impossible to use when unclipped. At least, I don’t trust putting any weight on it with the threat of my foot just slipping off. I’ve thought about covering part of the sole of my shoe with grip tape, but haven’t done it yet. Seems like a Fred thing to do.

Last night I was riding my tallbike clipless & brakeless and when I got home I fell over, not sure how but I wasn’t able to unclip one of my feet. I caught my self mostly with my unclipped leg though which was good but I have a really bad syndesmotic ankle sprain. Which is more like spraining your shin. So far it fucking sucks, I can’t walk, I hate/am terrible at crutches and I really want to fucking ride my bike because the weather is beautiful and now I have to take the metro since I can’t even drive because I can’t press in the motherfucking clutch pedal. /rant /rage

Yeah i’ve had a way worse fail on clips and straps… coming around a corner, correcting, and jamming my foot between the downtube and front wheel. Oops. Somesault time.

1. Blicks… if the pedals cleays are used… they probably favor releasing in one direction because they would be “broken in” in that direction, so try swapping them.

2. You are not cyclist until u fall over at stoplights in front of lots of people for lots of lulz. 3 times minimum.

So blicks… congrats. You broke ur cherry.

:frowning:

get betr soon

I only fell over once today! :slight_smile:

itt EivlEvo and I have a 5 on 5 avatar fight

What!?! How does that even happen?

lol!!!

Ok phase 1. Who’s in ur avatar?

What!?! How does that even happen?[/quote]

she frontal ted shreds and doesnt afraid

Had some clipless issues over the weekend. Recently switched to Time ATAC Alium pedals from Candys, and I’ve started to get some weird ankle issues on longer rides. Soreness mostly, all around the ankle right above the edge of the shoe. Happens on both feet, but much worse on the right.

I’m switching over to road pedals/shoes soon for road stuff. And, I don’t think I’ll end up putting enough miles on the mtb for this to be an issue, so hopefully it just never happens again!

lol!!!

Ok phase 1. Who’s in ur avatar?[/quote]

[youtube]Ts9O1HlWDXk[/youtube]

lol!!!

Ok phase 1. Who’s in ur avatar?[/quote]

i wonder how many of the views for that video came from tarck?

also switching from spd sl to mavic on my road. my dad is using mavic now, but is switching to spd sl’s so he’s giving me his mavics. it’s gonna be sad to say good bye to the pink pedals.

pink pedals? pink pedal pics please, person.

I forgot my shoes this morning and had to wear my clipless all day at the coffee shop! also, unrelated, they let me do a run to pick up stuff from the bakery on my bike. street cred for dayz

[quote=blickblocks]pink pedals? pink pedal pics please, person.

I forgot my shoes this morning and had to wear my clipless all day at the coffee shop! also, unrelated, they let me do a run to pick up stuff from the bakery on my bike. street cred for dayz[/quote]

Or look for the T-Mobile team color SPD-SLs.