Component Groups

Hey, y’all!
So I’m building up one of those cheapo nashbar road frames for a lady aquaintance of mine and I’m wondering what componant set to throw on it. I’m looking to buy a whole group all at once for somewhere around $400.
Suggestions?
Links?

Thanks!

Older Ultegra/105 groupset?

shimano 600 ultegra can be easily had for $400. or a newer 105 set.

If you can bump up just a bit more, PBK has 2008 Veloce for $530. It is a good looking and good performing group.

group or build kit?

What’s the dif?
I need:
Cranks
brakes
levers/shifters
BB
headset
chain
casette
seatpost
stem
RD
FD
cables and shit
and probably a few things I’m to hungover to think of at the moment.

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]What’s the dif?
I need:
[color=#FF0000]Cranks
brakes
levers/shifters
BB[/color]

headset
[color=#FF0000]chain
casette[/color]

seatpost
stem
[color=#FF0000]RD
FD
cables[/color]
and shit
and probably a few things I’m to hungover to think of at the moment.[/quote]
The highlighted you should get in a Shimano Groupset, the other things will need to be bought seperately

The stem is a personal choice for fit isn’t it and you have to get the right size post for the frame.

jenson has complete build kits that can be modified a bit. pricepoint does too sometimes but at that price range I think you are better off finding older stuff.

Yeah, you’re not going to find a put together groupset of less than 105 and that’s about $650

http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Shiman ... _P8480.cfm

PBK has an ultegra setup for 675

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=D6050

Upgrade your current geared road biek and use hte old parts for that build. That’s what I’m doing!

ebay. used. cheap.

EBAY!!!

If you go used on ebay shop with caution. I am leery of used STI.

i bought and older 8speed sti shimano 600 (ultegra) group for $150 a year or two back.

the dude had just installed new housings & chain & cog

i then bought a set of 600 wheels for $60 or so

its still in the box waiting for an approprioate frame for it to be put on.

i wouldn’t really recommend putting an older group on a new frame.

i’d buy a 9speed group from someone going to 10speed. 9speed 105 would be tits. i think a friend of mine is selling 9speeed ultegra for $300.

Yeah, but why buy STI? Better to get 600, like someone suggested, it’s a great group.

Yeah, but why buy STI? Better to get 600, like someone suggested, it’s a great group.[/quote]

I’m not above retro-grouchery, but integrated shifters are really nice. 600 is nice for a group from 15 years ago. The new stuff works better.

late 600 has STI. just to be nitpicky.

I have a question:
What does it mean when it says that the front derailleur is braze-on?
Does that mean It’ll have to be brazed onto the frame?

No, it just means you need a braze on adapter if your bike didn’t come with braze on front derailleur points. Adapters can be had for cheap, jsut make sure it’s the right size for your seat tube.

it means there is a mounting bracket on to the frame on a steel bike it would be brazed on. There are bolt on “braze on” mounts though.