Craigslist/ebay/etc finds

Rear isn’t as bad as the front

1 Like

so true. but also TA is the light. it only makes GD sense

1 Like

Meh
Qr and disc only feels bad because we have ta now. Like how everyone was fine with caliper brakes until discs came along.

1 Like

i have a bike with qr disc front and rear and it’s a great bike. id rather it had thru axle but i can’t think of a time it has actually been a problem

4 Likes

It’s like di2 – It Just Works™ without a whole bunch of adjustments every time you pop the wheel.

But q/r still works, though the disc brake fork + q/r collabo has a hilarious failure case if you do a lot of heavy braking.

the fork i have points the dropout ms in the self catching direction. could still be a problem but so far so good

Has anyone here had that happen or reliably know of it happening? Or even just come loose and bump up to the lawyer lips?

Happened to a friend when we were riding down a steep muddy ATV trail. Definitely an underbiking situation with lots of braking and his front wheel came right off. Kind of assumed he didn’t have the qr on tight but who knows. Glad it didn’t happen on the very-fast gravel descent just before that.

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s literally the first I’ve heard of it happening. How did it get past the lawyer lips? Did it smear them flat?

Layer lips didn’t look damaged at all so chances are the skewer was too loose. It was a Breezer Radar (I think) with forward facing fork ends.

a close friend of mine lost a front wheel in college because he didn’t realize the skewer had to cam closed. he just screwed it on tight. hospital trip, put teeth back in, stitched his lip. was real bad

I see bikes rolling around like that every damn day.

Any time I take the rear wheel out of my fendered bike. Which isn’t often.

never was an issue for me

I was with a buddy driving a few weeks ago and we pass a young woman on a bike and then my buddy just says “hold on imma save this lady some teeth”, pulls over, flags her down and then shows her how to tighten the front skewer properly. Lawyer lips were the only thing keeping her front wheel on.

I have no idea how he saw that, he says it’s his super power and he does that a couple times a year.

4 Likes

I have a 130 rear cap if someone buys these

Those are the 10s Shimano only varietals, yeah? I suppose you could throw the Shimano 11-34 to make them 11, though.

1 Like

Yep