Craigslist/ebay/etc finds

I’ve had rockhoppers with dropouts like that. Not sure why they are that way. I can think of a couple of reasons but don’t actually know the story.

I’m more suspicious of that long 1" Threadless steerer. Curious if the fork was replaced entirely, or stock steerer lengthened and converted to Threadless or ?

My '89 Hardrock Comp had dropouts like that too. My guess is it was a quick fix to make it easier for normies to align the rear wheel.

So should I buy it and then we find out?

2 Likes

This is what it looks like to me, if you were replacing the fork entirely then you wouldn’t go to all the bodgery of removing canti bosses and brazing on a disc mount to a fork (and the fork style is right for a rockhopper of that era IMO)

1 Like

I also have a Rockhopper with those dropouts. I’ve always wondered if I could file out that little bit to run it single speed.

hacksaw first

the intent was to be less fucked up than threaded dropout adjusters dialed in

and the real reason horizontal dropouts stuck around so long was wheel alignment, nobody was building singlespeeds

2 Likes

Fork shape looks right and it’s easy to see the bad patch job on the bosses. The one killing me is the seat post clamp

poorly done bodgery at that. What, they couldn’t have spent half an hour with a file to smooth the weld scars?

I did not know Cannondale made an eccentric BB singlespeed mtn bike for a brief time. Seems like something @jimmythefly would be into.
Bonus: heavily early 2000s graphics

4 Likes

Unf yeah that thing is cool! Wish I was closer and/or didn’t have a bunch of projects already going. TBH I didn’t know they made a rigid version, I thought they all came with boingy forks.

something tells me its not a fixed gear.

also their garage door makes it look like they poorly photoshopped out things from the picture.

i was in high school when those came out, i wanted one rilly bad then

I bought one of these back when Performance bike sold Cannondales. It came with a Bushnell EBB and an utterly painful rigid aluminum fork. I ended up putting a Kona P2 fork and a rear derailleur on it so I could pawn it off to my brother-in-law.

Solid wheels
$275 is about what you could get them for if you built yourself

2 Likes

Those enve hubs aren’t anything special tho, like a custom formula or oem hub, $120-160 pair if you look

1 Like

If they’re the newest enve hubs they’re basically Mavic but way less dumb which is so similar to DT it’s not even funny.

1 Like

coming with Ekar and HG freehubs is suggestive tho

could these be the special jawns?

2 Likes

Probably bitex OEM with special cutouts on the flanges

1 Like