Crapbrapping or Pukebacking or Poopbarning

I don’t know, I thought most of those guys were still weekend warriors? You can see the folks that used to place highly in these things 5 years ago being displaced by younger fitter folks. JP just won the Tour divide but I don’t recognise any “hitters” from previous years there. He was bleating about being beaten by younger guys in the XL Unbound the other day. I listened to some good podcasts with Lachlan Morton on his attempts on the Colorado Trail Race record. Must have been this one. Definitely worth a listen. ‎Overland Archive Podcast: 10: Lachlan Morton - EF Pro Tour Rider to Ultra Endurance Cyclist, Colorado Trail and GB Duro on Apple Podcasts

1 Like

yeah, i guess road pros can transition to self supported racing relatively easily, it’s not like the basic skills are different.

i’d bd interested in self supported dh

1 Like

UCI Enduro has strayed from this somewhat, but doesn’t Downieville fit that mold?

2 Likes

Downieville has shuttles.

Oh, you meant the race. I’ve always stayed away during the race.

probably? i thought most self supported mtb trended away from seriously big hit courses because it’s hard (?) to service a blown shock with wildcrafted tools

Ok hear me out -not self supported, but more like old school Paris-Dakar style fellow-competitor supported. So you can only get help from other racers.

What this turns into is teams having one or two serious racers, plus one “racer” who is in fact a mechanic that’s racing only to serve as a mule carrying tools and parts for the other guys. As it evolves it becomes it’s own category and now we have regular enduro racers and also cargo bikes that also race the course (with longer time cutoffs or maybe the cargo bikes are allowed to be e-bikes or something).

TBH I’d love to see a full-suspension e-bullit bombing down a trail, loaded with tools and spare parts.

10 Likes

sign up at https://www.openstreetmap.org/ and start poking around in the documentation

I had noticed some trails nearby that were not mapped and desired to add them. Went out and covered the terrain with a gps device and uploaded my ‘GPS Trace’ and then used that as a project to learn the interface

3 Likes

But then you’d have the hardtail class, the FS class, the ebike class, the cargo bike class etc. Dakar has a lot of classes. The moto guys always intrigue me but the trucks are the best.

This, but an ebike.

I love it.

7 Likes

Saw one of those in Morocco. Unfortunately it was standing still.

Some nerdery on Lachlan Mortons tracking system as he bikepacks the TDF course, from DCrainmaker. It uses cellular data as well as GPS. Lachlan Morton’s Tour de France Alt Tour: How the Tracking Device & Site Works | DC Rainmaker

2 Likes

Nah, you don’t need all those classes. I guess Enduro bikes could be like it is now, all one class (in regards to equipment, not talking about rider divisions). But to make it work I think the “cargo” class would need to have modified rules to make it at least somewhat fun. In Dakar they’ve definitely tweaked the class rules so that the trucks can keep up with the cars (and for a few years be as fast if not faster!).

We should take this to deth musheen thread, but the motos are the best for ever.

1 Like

On the opposite spectrum of Crust… Featuring our own @BicyclePears!
“It featured highlights such as carbonium frame with zittyzit fork, QRBBT (Quick Release Banana and Baguette Technology), direct-mount spare tubes, Crocs Power Strap System, dual handlebar system and a riser (yes, riser) seat post.”


And yes, this is the same bike/frame:



8 Likes

Choose your banana.

3 Likes

Holy shit, those quads. Sploosh.

2 Likes

I wanna be @dangerholm when I grow up.

2 Likes

Anton Cooper’s quads look like that and he’s only half Dangerholms height.

2 Likes

:frowning:

See Lachlan Morton has been having feet issues and is trying some alternative options.

3 Likes

this would be a good time for Shimano to swag him out with a pair of SD5 biek sandals

3 Likes