Well, hell. Forest closures for wildfires are prompting some of the folks riding the Oregon Timber Trail to shuttle out. I guess Oregon is going straight to “on fire” instead of at least some summer. The route is also going to be going by a fire that was just found earlier this afternoon south of Detroit Lake…which is along the southern edge of where the larger fires burned last year.
In the last 30 days, I’ve gone on 4 bike camping trips. Currently on our way to a rad place on an island overlooking the water just north of Tacoma WA. We’re on our second beer en route. The campground itself says it has a strict no alcohol policy. There’s definitely going to be some sock beers happening in a minute.
Edit:
have any of y’all used one of these frame triangle water tanks and/or have any hot takes? I’m currently just strapping 1.5L HDPE nalgenes all over the bike but thinking about how to make the setup less clunky.
I know the popular solution is “big bladder in a full frame bag”, but A) I hate tetris-ing stuff into a full frame bag, and B) I’ve seen one too many bladders punctured inside a framebag. By “one too many” I mean just once, but way out in the desert, and that was one too many for me.
I have one, I like the idea but it rubs on my calves. The clever thing about it is it uses a silicone duckbill valve as a breather valve in the cap.
Going further on the concept, I ended up using a narrower 1 gallon HDPE F-type jug in my frame bag instead with my own 3d printed cap with breather valve, then got rid of the hose and cap, and then lately just stacking in a bunch of 1L Smartwater bottles like a gun magazine.
You can borrow it if you want to check it out*. My wife might use it for her desert fatbike but seemed suspicious about the concept.
* there should be an S24O (or maybe more like sub-36) opportunity to test it out in the Black Rock desert later this month if you want to test it out in-situ
yeah I was wondering about that. The bike it’s gonna go on isn’t a low-Q dork crank, but it’s also not super wide either. Non-boost chainline.
I’m assuming you mean sometime in october, not within the next three days. Lemme know the details! I’m doing a big roadtrip in mid october but would love to show up if I can make the scheduling work out.
I asked the AH guy if he was going to make a narrower one and he had thought about it. I’m not sure if the 3L one is narrower or not.
It’s not especially wide either - my pedalling stance is narrow and I will rub my knees or calves on anything wide, but unfortunately it’s a deal-killer.
the description says that the photos are of a “pre-production model” (AKA yeah probably a 3D-print fit check mockup). pre-order only, they haven’t shipped it yet
I’ve not tested it in a frame bag with water, but a couple of moto guys I know would use the bladder from a large starbucks coffee to go box for transporting gasoline, strapped to the back of a bike.
Yeah I’m gonna vote for “bladder inside frame bag”. Done weeks of combined time bikepacking with such a setup. It is protected from punctures pretty darn well in your bag. And your water stays cool!!
What if you put the bladder in a cordura bag that collapsed with the bladder as it empties? Not fixing it to the bag allows you to continue to use the space but protects the delicious boxed wine water.
I had a frame bag with separate compartments and it sort of limited the use of the whole bag as needs changed.