Crapbrapping or Pukebacking or Poopbarning

That’s a bummer Marley.

If you happen to run into Pepper (IG bookbikebrew) please give her a socially distanced high five from me.

1 Like

found a shop with a 2022 salsa fargo in my size so i am jumping on it. shop guy helped me put this together. going for a do it all vermont bike (rolling gravel, singletrack, class 4, yadda yadda). anything i’m doing dumb here?

image

3 Likes

Someone is going to recommend something other than Spyres. Not me though, I think they’re great.

2 Likes

Why a 2 bolt seatpost? If you like it great but I’ve always come back to the kalloy uno

1 Like

Those dimension 2-bolt posts are great. Unless you need additional setback, there’s zero reason to change it.

2 Likes

I’ve already got one so that’s the one

2 Likes

That’s generally how I choose seatposts, too.

2 Likes

Yeah I am always gonna back BB7’s because there is nothing that can go wrong on them and they are adjustable with no tools. I’ve never used Spyres but am always interested in peoples discussing cable brake pros and cons. So many variables in setting any brake up I guess.

This is for derp bars tho.

I always use BB7’s on my derp bars.

2 Likes

Wait does Shimano make an XD driver for an XT hub? In general SRAM drivetrain+ Shimano hubs offends my sense of matchy-match, but in this case you might have a compatibility issue, no?

Oh yeah… good spotting. I don’t know the answer to that. Didn’t used to be the way.

oh snap - i honestly have no idea. luckily, since i can’t wrench on anything made after 2012, i am having a shop put this together. i’ll email him and report back.

2 Likes

Pretty sure gx, or maybe it’s nx, fits a Shimano freehub.

nx and sx fit the shimano 10s freehub. gx still requires an xd driver.

3 Likes

So options explored thus far are:

  1. changing the wheel to something with an XD driver option. DT 1900 spline 25 or something similar
  2. Sunrace HG 11-51 which apparently works well with SRAM

option 2 is preferable as it doesn’t bump the price up even higher, but I’m honestly not sure which way to go.

I’d say just do 2. Not sure you are really going to ever need the 10t. Like, you gonna be finding yourself in a sprint and really wanting a harder gear? Maybe people do that with Fargos, though.
You could find yourself wanting more as it points a bit downhill, but that is when you just relax and coast to prepare for the inevitable upslope half a mile ahead.

2 Likes

totes how i ride, good point.

1 Like

Its that time again. The second running of the Tour Te Waipounamu starts this Sunday. By far the hardest Bikepacking event I’ve ever done.

Mostly because of the massive amounts of hike-a-bike. Check out some of the rigs here.

I think 6 people have come back to repeat it, and some dude who won the Silk Race has come over for it as well.

Trackers here.

Commentary here.

Looking at the entries and not recognising many of the names I am guessing there will be a bigger DNF rate than last time. The guy who made the movie of the event last year has also lined up to race this year. Hes 62 and is on a Curve titanium gravel bike… His movie here.

6 Likes

The Tour Te Waipounamu has just moved from the random hike-a-bike of the Hope Kiwi hiking track to the 6-8 hours of constant HAB/carrying over the Dampier range. Looks like the Swedish guy who won the Silk Road race and Steve Halligan are together. They are averaging 2 km/h . Glad I’m watching this time.

https://ttw22.maprogress.com/

5 Likes