I’m still stuck on the fact that someone produces and markets a product called “Cranktank”
I’ve just not encountered these issues. Does stuff have to be packed in super tight to get these folding/friction issues? On old Platypus bags (hard plastic) I used to get leaks at the seams as they aged. I’ve gotten two pinholes in other types of bladders and I think that both occurred as a result of embers from campfires landing on them. Been using one with a pinhole in it for months. Yeah, when I squeeze it to filter water, the most miniscule jet of water comes out of the pinhole. Still perfectly usable to the point that I can’t be arsed to warranty it.
I’m not sure if more pressure makes it abrade worse or move less
I have fixed pinholes in the poly water bags by heating up a butter knife on the stove and sort of smearing the hole closed
I might try that method. You or someone else recommended heat a couple of years ago when I was trying to fix the above bag and I sort of took that overboard by using an old cheap soldering iron. It just made the hole bigger 
I’ve done this successfully too but only used the bladder a handful of times after that so no idea about longevity
I’d seriously consider the cranktank. I currently put a bladder in my frame bag, and with the small size of my triangle and the way the bladder ends up sitting in there, it results in a lot of wasted space. Like, all I can get in my frame bag is the bladder, maybe a tube or some other random soft thing, and then a few tools and things that go in the smaller pocket at the top of the framebag. If I could get a half frame bag in there along with the tank of water, that would be a big plus, especially since that’s the best place for long things like tent poles, which currently just get shoved in my seatbag and require constant fiddling.
TLDR maybe stuff like the cranktank is solving more problems for shorter folks with less space in their triangle than for others.
That’s a very good point.
do y’all not know about this thing? insulated sleeve with removable bladder, drops in any bag. I’ve used mine for years
https://www.camelbak.com/recreation/shop/reservoirs/unbottle-3l/CB-1352.html
Have used a lighter to melt bits of the zip part of a ziploc bag for use as plastic filler/repair.
This is where my interest is, really. 4l of water gets rid of 3 + bottles and opens up under my DT for other things, like my cook kit, which currently resides in my 1/2 frame pack.
The Tour Te Waipounamu movie is now available online. With 30 mins extra for the directors cut. I don’t think it has subtitties so good luck with understanding our accents. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/southttw
FYI, I watched it last night. So much better with the extra 30 mins. Lots of footage from one of the riders in the really gnarly stuff, and more in depth stuff with the rider interviews. Looking forward to going down south in Feb with the boss lady on her ebike to see some of these places again.
Looks like this is finally happening, 3 years after initially planning for it. Open invite - January 9-18th, 40ish miles per day. Email me if you want to join.
Questioning all my choices right now. Have you ever been on a bikepacking trip and realized you’re miserable?
Made it 12 hot and sandy miles today for the start of the Cape Loop and just couldn’t keep going.
Debating staying a few days in Mexico and then going home. Might try and meet the crew who kept riding in todos Santos, but I’m just not feeling this.
Update (b/c apparently this didn’t post last night.)
Took the bus to Todos Santos. I think I’m gonna call it on my ride. Just not feeling it at all.
Gonna camp with the group tonight then make a decision tomorrow on what to do next.
Thinking I’ll stay in a hostel here for a few days, then take the bus to La Paz for a few, then back to San Jose del Cabo next week to go home.
I have a ridiculously busy January coming up, no need to kill myself on a trip that is supposed to be fun, only to have to go back to “real life” and moving a million miles an hour.
Try to chill for a bit. Sometimes stuff can be overwhelming. Take some time off to see if your perspective changes.
Not feeling it is 100% a valid reason to bag a ride or whatever.
That time in Jan 2020 when I maybe had COVID, was going through some kind of steroid prescription for it, and found myself pedaling West all damn day into a headwind in the flats leading to the Santa Rita mountains in AZ where the forecast was snow. Yeah I know the feeling!
So I ended up camping with the crew last night in Todos Santos, and I think the problem is…I just don’t like 2 of them. It’s a weird vibe, not fun at all. So I dunno what my plan is.
I think just ride and know that I need to be back in San Jose del Cabo next Tuesday at the latest. 
Was wondering why you weren’t feeling it, and that’ll definitely do it.
Best of luck!



