Crapbrapping or Pukebacking or Poopbarning

I think after being very popular for a long time, they were suddenly uncool. Maybe some poor rolling resistance details, I can’t recall.

I have one and it’s pretty rad atmo.

Also had a big block in 2010.

3 Likes

A friend of mine is going to be targeting the Oregon Outback FKT this summer. Anyone on here I connect him with to get some route intel?

He’ll be flying into Portland probably so he’s also looking for a shop to ship his bike to.

1 Like

If ya gotta leave a steamer do it in a restroom or a cathole in the national forest. Do not use a lawn or a barn.

10 Likes

This is not FKT beta

1 Like

Alternate approach: get one of those little bags like the Central Park carriage horses have under their butts

5 Likes

poopbarn

3 Likes

Team Not-Jan

2 Likes

This FB group can be a good resource for course conditions.

Edit: also the PNW Bikepacking group is one to watch/ask, I’m sure as the date approaches your friend will find someone who’s ridden the route just days before.

A good discussion here with some of the people at the pointy end, and event organisers, about compulsory breaks in “events”. This is part 2. Roundtable: Mandatory Rest Periods - Part 2 – DotWatcher.cc

2 Likes

this looks like a cool route.

2 Likes

hi
has anybody here done the idaho hot springs loop?
we’re planning on doing half of it this year and any tips or stuff would be appreciated

Anyone ridden this?

A couple friends are riding it next weekend and if I can find someone to watch the pup I’m gonna tag along.

@jimmythefly isn’t this your neck of the woods? how bad are mosquitoes down there? Do I need to bring a tent or will cowboy camping suffice?

1 Like

Yeah basicallyy neck of the woods but I haven’t done any riding out that way. Anecdotally, bugs are bad so far this year, I’d want some sort of Mosquito protection.

I’m camping this weekend so I’ll get to figure it out first hand! It’s also been pretty cold -we got a frost in Bend two nights ago and Mt. Bachelor shut down bike operations because they got snowed on.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm trying to decide if I dowse myself in Deet™️ and do it ultralight on the fixed gear or ride the basket bike and carry way too much stuff. Either way it’s 100 miles in three days so it’ll be fine

And by “bad” bugs I mean probably not bad at all, we’re just so spoiled out here. Personally, a single buzzing insect will keep me up all night, so I always have something. I think when you are moving it’s fine, just sitting at camp that’s bad. Again, anecdotally. The Oregon Gravel Riding (not the exact name can’t recall) FB group is good to ask for info a coupla days before.

PS if you hit Bend first you’re welcome to borrow my REI bivy sack. Goretex shell, BUT! Uncovered bugnet from head to shoulders. No poles. For actual rain you also need a tarp, or have your head under a good tree, big rain jacket spread out, etc.

Edit: https://www.rei.com/product/794292/rei-co-op-minimalist-bivy-regular

1 Like

For actual rain I’ll hope one of my friends is a real cuddle bug.

I’m not doing the driving but if we swing thru Bend I’ll definitely let you know. Thanks!

I grew up in the south…my first memory is my grandma pulling 10 ticks off my dick. One time I fell asleep with a hole in my sock and woke up with 28 mosquito bites in a dime size circle on my ankle. I’m not looking at anything worse than that right?

1 Like

Also what are current ultra light camping hacks? It’s probably been 10 years since I lost interest in Ultralight backpacking…surely we’re past fancy feast stoves + Blue Diamond Almond pots and denatured alcohol in contact lense solution bottles. Fill me in!

Alpine areas like Waldo Lake between Bend and Oakridge can get pretty absurd with big biting black flies for several stretches in the otherwise-best parts of the year, but still nothing like a real dismal swamp

Most people stopped the alcohol stove nonsense because it takes forever even at low altitudes and is patently unsafe

1 Like