crooked spd mounts...

just got a new pair of shoes, and the spd mount is fucked up. i hoped it had slidden during shipping somehow and tried moving it with a screwdriver, but i haven’t wanted to put too much force into it. i don’t really know if i should try and force it or what, i don’t really know how these things work, i just know there’s no way the bolts will line up with the mounts when i try to put cleats on.

here’s a picture of the fuckeupness:

You can probably rotate the plate without causing too much damage. Its prolly between the outsole and the midsole and it can’t damage any of those.

I’d be concerned though about if they used glue to hold it in place, as in how much glue and also that you might not be able to clip in easily because the rubber cutout on the outsole looks to be lined up with it as it is now? You could always cut that though I suppose.

You may try separating the outsole from the plate with a knife or something if it won’t easily twist, and then use a product like gorilla glue to tack the outsole again to prevent it from ripping or wearing weird.

No way to exchange them?

It’s not uncommon for the mounting plate to move around. Pull the insole and you should be able to line it up.

yeah, 'loon was here a minute ago, i showed him and he said just go in there and push it around, not to worry about applying too much force. worked great.

i feel like this may have been a stupid question, but less stupid than fucking shit up without asking.

[quote=EivlEvo]Y

No way to exchange them?[/quote]

i’d just rather not deal with it if i could, plus i can start using them tomorrow.

^^ damnit, ian! stop posting as me!

Yup. I figured as much.

word. I was thinking the plate would be glued and not easily movable.

^ on the 4 or 5 pairs of SPD shoes I’ve had in my life, I’ve never seen the plate glued in.
If it was glued in, how would you adjust cleat placement?

Yeah, the plate has to move to allow you to tune you cleat placement. If you are new to clipless, grindmaster, don’t be shy about making some adjustments until you figure out the position that works for you. Bad cleat placement can be a real fit issue.

[quote=EivlEvo]You can probably rotate the plate without causing too much damage. Its prolly between the outsole and the midsole and it can’t damage any of those.

I’d be concerned though about if they used glue to hold it in place, as in how much glue and also that you might not be able to clip in easily because the rubber cutout on the outsole looks to be lined up with it as it is now? You could always cut that though I suppose.

You may try separating the outsole from the plate with a knife or something if it won’t easily twist, and then use a product like gorilla glue to tack the outsole again to prevent it from ripping or wearing weird.

No way to exchange them?[/quote]
I just read this again.
Have you ever owned or even looked at a pair of SPD shoes?
Please don’t try to give advice when you have no idea what you’re talking about.

^Ha. Yeah.

[quote=Rusty Piton]
I just read this again.
Have you ever owned or even looked at a pair of SPD shoes?
Please don’t try to give advice when you have no idea what you’re talking about.[/quote]

The mother fuckin law.

In fact I own 2 pairs. On my road ones the plastic piece is attached to the outsole thus I figured if someone posted that they couldn’t move the plate that it might be likely that the plate is attached to the outsole. Otherwise, why would someone be posting this if it could simply be moved?

Then again I don’t have any shoe type spd’s. My advice is good in the original situation. If it won’t move he’s either not trying hard enough or its attached. If he’s not trying hard enough Im not going to post go ahead you can do it? And if its attached then you have to somehow un-attach it, move it, and re-attach it.

This is all besides the fact that you haven’t offered shit except to go after two of my posts that were essentially harmless and the second of which is even potentially useful. It really doesn’t bother me I guess… I’m not trying to get in anyones face. You think my posts are stupid (as apparently a few others do as well) and I don’t, what can I do? If I’m wrong I guess… you could post the right thing to do and I’ll learn from it, as we all have done and will do?

Edit: Wait… I see what you mean now… he CLEARLY stated the SPD mount was fucked up which is obv just under the insole. I thought he was referring to the fact that the plastic thing (with the slots in it) was twisted and that his SPD mount (screw hole thingy) was at the angle he wanted the other thing at.

I misunderstood. My bad, and apologies.

Don’t worry man.
I didn’t do anything but shittalk you in this thread because everything you posted was longwinded and useless and Halbritt had alread solved Ian’s problem.
You don’t own spd shoes so why would you offer advice on fixing them?

…and motherfucking PIE, that’s what I’m talking about!

G-Flash, how are the SPDs working out?

[quote=Rusty Piton]Don’t worry man.
I didn’t do anything but shittalk you in this thread because everything you posted was longwinded and useless and Halbritt had alread solved Ian’s problem.
You don’t own spd shoes so why would you offer advice on fixing them?[/quote]

Its cool. I was probably hypoxic. FWIW I think you should shittalk all my threads… it makes them way more interesting.

[quote=halbritt]…and motherfucking PIE, that’s what I’m talking about!

G-Flash, how are the SPDs working out?[/quote]

just came back to this thread…the mounts moved, but were pretty difficult, so i just stopped when one pair of holes on each show lined up with a pair of holes on the other shoe. somehow, it seems i got just the right spot so the ball of my foot lined up with the spindle just the way i like it.

i crashed three times (one drunk, twice trying not to hit peds at work) while figuring out unclipping, but i’m pretty much good to go by now. they really help on hills. a number of times i’ve gone up hills without getting out of the saddle, hills i normally would have to. probably not totally related, but i put in some good times on some deliveries on friday and got some nice words from dispatch throughout the day and finally a bunch of praise at the end of the day.

Welcome to Clipless Town.
I think you’ll find you like it here.

for the most part. with double sided spd pedals there are some things i find harder to do (dismounting while the bike is moving, etc), but i’ll work it out.