cross check vs soma double cross

I almost ALMOST have enough money to buy a frame and start building it up, definitely by about June

what’s the difference between these two? looks like the soma might be a little lighter/have a little better steel

is the big difference the dropouts?

any thoughts on one vs the other?

Croscheck is synonymous with versitility.

[quote=“anita”]I almost ALMOST have enough money to buy a frame and start building it up, definitely by about June
[/quote]

ALMOST fail. :colbert:

is the doublecross substantially less versatile?

The only thing that i can tell is that you couldn’t run the soma fixed without it being a huge pain in the ass

I can’t decide if this is a dealbreaker

help me tarckbike

CrossCheck has clearance for 700x45 tires and horizontal dropouts so you can run it fixed/single speed. The DoubleCross is slightly lighter but has vertical drop outs (no fixed) and clearance for 700x38 tires.

The real deciding factor should be geometry and which fits better.

Welcome to the Tarck and Non-Tarck sub-forum.

What are you going to use it for?

The Soma will be marginally lighter than the Surly. The Soma has vertical dropouts, while the Surly has more versatile horizontal dropouts. This makes it easier to run fixed and single speed, but it also helps with carrying loads. Riding with the wheel back in the dropouts gives you a longer wheelbase and will provide a more stable ride. Move the wheel forward and the bike will ride a little zippier, or so the theory goes. So the Surly might arguably be more comfortable for touring The Soma doesn’t come with a fork, the Surly does, so factor that into the price.

I think that’s about it.

I wouldn’t want a crosscheck as a race bike, but as a commuter/tourer, it’s the shiz.

Crosscheck’s where it’s at. Quit thinking and do it.

+1

Or… get a used touring bike instead.

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/bik/986139916.html

[quote=“jacques”]Welcome to the Tarck and Non-Tarck sub-forum.

What are you going to use it for?[/quote]

everything, duh,

no for real I want to do cross and tour on it

probably some singletrack too, until i figure out what i want in a mtb

used bikes don’t show up in my size so much, the cross check works really well for me in the 42 size, it’s kind of weird how big their frames run

I’ve looked at the jake the snake but that 47 doesn’t feel quite right, i like the jamis nova a lot too

If you think you will actually use it for some cross racing go with a redline. The first time you have to haul a heavy ass 4130 bike over a barrier you will be kicking yourself for not saving up for a lighter bike. If you want to tour save up for a bob trailer to go with it.

A heavy ass 4130 cross bike is neither a cyclocross bike nor a touring bike. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I can’t buy two bikes man, it’s taken me like 3 years to save up enough for a frame! (admittedly would have had one a lot sooner if I hadn’t decided to move out on my own)

Two bikes? What the heck are you talking about?

[quote=“bradencbc”]If you think you will actually use it for some cross racing go with a redline. The first time you have to haul a heavy ass 4130 bike over a barrier you will be kicking yourself for not saving up for a lighter bike. If you want to tour save up for a bob trailer to go with it.

A heavy ass 4130 cross bike is neither a cyclocross bike nor a touring bike. Jack of all trades, master of none.[/quote]

whatever. you just get stronger. i raced my budget build crosscheck to several victories. sure, i probably would have saved a few seconds with a lighter bike, but the first lap is usually the only one that matters anyways. oh yeah, and racing is as much mental as it is physical.

although, she is a girl…

[quote=“tjayk”]whatever. you just get stronger. i raced my budget build crosscheck to several victories. sure, i probably would have saved a few seconds with a lighter bike, but the first lap is usually the only one that matters anyways. oh yeah, and racing is as much mental as it is physical.

although, she is a girl…[/quote]

I was wondering about this. How much to as built up for racing crosscheck weigh?

[quote=“edw”]
I was wondering about this. How much to as built up for racing crosscheck weigh?[/quote]

mine is pretty damn heavy, but a lot of the weight was in the stock fork. i don’t consider the frame heavy at all considering how strong it is, and it can be built up light, especially with a carbon fork and some nice wheels.

i would guess that mine weighed 20 pounds maybe.

my build was pretty budget though:
ultegra front hub/nashbar branded track rear hub laced w/32 dbl butted spokes to velocity aerohead’s
sugino xd crank
shimano un 54 bb (boat anchor)
avid 6’s
cheap tektro levers
cheap bontrager bars/stem
pretty heavy tires + tubes, etc…