cross check vs soma double cross

that was single speed not geared?

my uneducated two cents…cross check.

yeah… i forgot to mention generic heavy bmx freewheel.

the fork is almost 3 lbs…

http://cgi.ebay.com/SURLY-CROSS-CHECK-S ... dZViewItem

need the 42, thanks though

holy shit i might buy this

naw man fuck you

oh ok

A cro-mo frame set is going to come with a 2.5-3.5 pound weight penalty over a redline. Surly frames are tanks.

I’m just saying a 10-20% drop in weight on a touring bike is meaningless but if it’s on a bike you have to pick up and shoulder it’s huge.

Plus if we are talking just frame-sets at this point the Redline can be found for the same price or cheaper than the surly. It has dropout eyelets front and back too so racks would not be a problem. I owned one of the all aluminum ones a few years ago and the ride was smoother than most steel frames too.

The ONLY real advantage of the crosscheck is that you can run it single/fixed with more ease.

I’m curious… how many of you on here actually switch their bikes from single/fixed to geared on a regular basis?

What do you want the bike for?
General commuting, light touring, little off road fun, go with the CC
If you want a CX bike, go with a CX bike

I have a ton of nice bikes but the CC easily wins in versatility and I like the ride characteristics.

how tall are you?

[quote=“jacques”]Or… get a used touring bike instead.

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/bik/986139916.html[/quote]

that’s what i’m gonna do.
i tried to get solbrothers to buy this (after seeing a pic of his 57cm gazelle in chat…he’s 6’7")

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Audax-Rando ... 240%3A1318

just gonna keep my eyes open.

[quote=“bradencbc”]A cro-mo frame set is going to come with a 2.5-3.5 pound weight penalty over a redline. Surly frames are tanks.

I’m just saying a 10-20% drop in weight on a touring bike is meaningless but if it’s on a bike you have to pick up and shoulder it’s huge.

Plus if we are talking just frame-sets at this point the Redline can be found for the same price or cheaper than the surly. It has dropout eyelets front and back too so racks would not be a problem. I owned one of the all aluminum ones a few years ago and the ride was smoother than most steel frames too.

The ONLY real advantage of the crosscheck is that you can run it single/fixed with more ease.

I’m curious… how many of you on here actually switch their bikes from single/fixed to geared on a regular basis?[/quote]

the 56cm crosscheck is 4.73 lbs. redline doesn’t list their frame weights, but i doubt i can get a comparable 1.23-2.23 lb frame from them. it is also unlikely it would have survived the abuse my crosscheck has.

-edit-
just checked and apparently redline’s top cx frame (i assume) the conquest team weights 1500 grams or 3.3 lbs for a 56cm. so i would save under 1.5 lbs for over $400.

5’3"

You are forgetting that boat anchor of a fork. That 2.5-3.5 includes the fork. And I know people who have dished out abuse to their conquest frames that I’m sure is on par with anything you have done to that Surly.

[quote=“bradencbc”]

I’m curious… how many of you on here actually switch their bikes from single/fixed to geared on a regular basis?[/quote]

Not me… I expected to convert my crosscheck back and forth on a regular basis but I’ve become pretty committed to 9 speed on that bike. It’s still nice to have options though.

Anita, I would go crosscheck, if only because it’s a lot cheaper than a double cross and only a teeny bit less bike. Shop around, and look for sales and blowouts. You can find the framesets for 300-350 this time of year. For that kind of price it’s such an awesome versatile bike—that to me is its big advantage.

Another alternative is to find a deal on a fly ass 80’s touring frame with lots of tire clearance.

Of the two, Cross Check.

The fork is heavy, and it’s kinda pricey for what it is, but it’s solid.

Wait around for a good deal on either one, though I doubt youll find anything too great of a steal. The rob roy was also an excellent contender, pretty versatile frame, just in need of a d hanger.

ive seen crosschecks in the low $300 pricepoint i guess i will probably go with that thanks guys

i see myself riding single speed or fixed in the summer and going back to gears for winter

Wasn’t Bikes Direct going to introduce a Cross-Check knock-off? It would seem like they could offer the same bike at a much more down-to-earth price ($400 for a basic CroMo frame is kind of ridiculous).