cross check vs soma double cross

jeremy runs one of those

That crosscheck on the bay is still low. Not gonna buy it though

Nashbar carbon CX fork is $140 and weighs 690 grams (1.5Lbs).

At 1.5Lbs, I’d stick with steel.

Interesting… a friend of mine has a crosscheck, and he does the opposite, which makes more sense to me. Why gears in winter?

[quote=“jacques”]Welcome to the Tarck and Non-Tarck sub-forum.
[/quote]
i lol’d

Interesting… a friend of mine has a crosscheck, and he does the opposite, which makes more sense to me. Why gears in winter?[/quote]

Yeah, I can see several reasons for riding fixed in the winter and geared in the summer rather than the other way around. I can’t really see why you would do it the other way around, but I’m curious about your reasons.

Interesting… a friend of mine has a crosscheck, and he does the opposite, which makes more sense to me. Why gears in winter?[/quote]

Yeah, I can see several reasons for riding fixed in the winter and geared in the summer rather than the other way around. I can’t really see why you would do it the other way around, but I’m curious about your reasons.[/quote]

I have a different commute in the summer, with less hills and substantially less miles, i don’t think i’d want gears unless my schedule works out where I end up doing really long rides. right now i do like 12-15 miles a day, and most of that I NEED to do just to get around. in the summer, my obligatory mileage total is more in the 6-10 mile range, and most of my riding is a lot slower/for more pleasurable pursuits

it’s awesome having a lighter bike in the heat, gears are a tool, you know? and my riding style and needs change, in the summer im better able to chill out, enjoy being on a bike instead of being in that commuter mindset. for me, fixed/single speed is for fun, not utility

Ya… um fixed makes riding in the snow easier due to direct drive and all.

An excellent explanation, anita. This makes much more sense to me now. Just curious- do you have much snow or other actually wintery crap to deal with in the winter? I dunno where you’re at.

No pdx just has a dry season and a wet season

It is rare to get any kind of snow/ice accumulation

I kind of want a pake didn’t realize they were only 170 for frame

[quote=“anita”]ive seen crosschecks in the low $300 pricepoint i guess i will probably go with that thanks guys

i see myself riding single speed or fixed in the summer and going back to gears for winter[/quote]
Where’s the logic in this?
I do the exact oposate.
Who wants gummed up gears? not me!

edit: I just read the logic. Anita, droppin’ logic bombs.

she doesn’t have to worry about snow. Winter doesn’t suck everywhere

Winter without snow is like sex without a money shot.

We get a few days a year of snow but it usually turns to slush within a few hours. This year we had a two week snow/ice extravaganza but that’s rare. We just have 150 days of rain.

if you arent racing, crosscheck.
if you are, redline.
if you have $$ get a cannondale.
if you have $$$$ get a salsa.
if you have no idea what you are about to embark on, ball up money and throw it off a building roof.

I also cant see the point in buying a bike just so you can do multiple drive train options on it whenever you want. You wont. Maybe if you buy something like that and go either ss or fixed until you can afford the derailleurs and cassette and crankset and so on… but seriously, people are too lazy for that. Pretty sure you could tour on all those options, and unless you are a machine, you will, like braden said, hate throwing the 4130 over your shoulders. I think the lightness of the aluminum will make up for it’s ever so slightly more harsh ride on the road.

my road bike right now is aluminum, the only reason i really want another bike to potentially tour on is because it’s a little big for me toptube lengthwise

i do want the option of gears, im far from a competitive rider & imagine i might change my mind about wanting gears on a cross bike for doing actual cross races

Get a Kilo TT.

everyone likes gears

I love gears, the only time I attempted fixed it didn’t go well at all, perhaps because it didn’t have breaks/I was in bad shape.

Get a cross bike and a cheap fixed gear. More bike is always more better. I principle I am a big fan of changing the configuration of my bikes. In real life I am lazy.